Loss of engine power 1939 Cadillac 60 Special

Guest tedasaurus

Guest tedasaurus

Drove my old beast today and the motor is happy sounding as usual but there is at least one third total horsepower missing since my last drive a few months ago.  Air cleaner? Fuel pressure?  No overheating or other issues other than lack of power.  On an aside are the knee action shocks refillable?  I included a picture for the heck of it.  Thanks!  Jim 

232323232�fp63552_nu=3686_;_3_255_WSNRCG=3446_9_5_2346nu0mrj.jpg

Start with the basics, do a compression test on each cylinder. Also a leak down test if possible. At least you'll have this info as to the health of the engine now and to compare in the future

Gasoline nowadays seems to have a shelf life of about 4 months. Run fresh gas in the tank.

Edited by Friartuck
Added Suggestion (see edit history)

I suggest testing for a restricted exhaust system before any other tests. It's simple, quick, and easy. All you need is a vacuum gauge.

That is the only thing that could rob you of that much power while in storage. I had a Lincoln customer once with the same complaint.

He fed his dogs in the garage. Chipmonks had filled his muffler with dog food pellets during the winter.

NOTE:

That is a very pretty car but those sagging door handles need corrected. It's a fast and easy cost free procedure.

as ever, Willie

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Willie Wurke said:

I suggest testing for a restricted exhaust system before any other tests. It's simple, quick, and easy. All you need is a vacuum gauge.

That is the only thing that could rob you of that much power while in storage. I had a Lincoln customer once with the same complaint.

He fed his dogs in the garage. Chipmonks had filled his muffler with dog food pellets during the winter.

NOTE:

That is a very pretty car but those sagging door handles need corrected. It's a fast and easy cost free procedure.

as ever, Willie

Does is rev up when not driving? With accelerator hard down (when not driving) what does it do?

Blocked exhaust is another possibility.

As is blocked fuel cap - fuel tank vent, thereby restricting full fuel flow

Does it have an in line fuel filter (after market)?

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, 5219 said:

Willie, since you brought it up, what is the "fast, easy, cost free procedure" for door handle droop? My LaSalle and I would like to know!

5219 (that sounds like a 1940 LaSalle body style) 4 dr sed?

I've owned a 1931 LaSalle 345 Opera Coupe 65 years. It has never wanted to learn anything (must know it all).

Here it is: Remove door handle (assume you know how)

Clamp end of square shaft in vise

Use Crescent wrench near handle to twist shaft slightly as needed.

P1000788.JPG

Have a friend with a straight 8 flat head.  Sometime after an engine rebuild, the car had little power and would not go over 20 MPH.  It had an air leak between the intake and exhaust manifold.  The unit had a rust hole and was not easily seen.  It caused the vacuum leak and it was not getting enough gas to run.  He sealed the hole and 10 years later, it is still running fine today. 

You might check for an air leak on the intake manifold.