1921 Buick Restoration Tips

Guest kcib2u

Guest kcib2u

I recently purchased a 1921 Model 45, (five passenger) Touring car (serial #711250).

I found a flywheel cover from a nice member this forum.

Still need a starter/generator cover for said car.

Was in need of the bottom windshield-cowling rubber. 

Ordered and paid $80 for one piece, that would no fit the 3/32" slot on the bottom of the window.

So I returned it and got my money back.

Was walking thru the garage today looking for something, when I came across a piece of

exterior door home weather stripping.  The kind that SNAPS into a groove on your door frame.

Well, guess WHAT?  It also is the perfect size to snap right into the bottom slot on the bottom windshield!!!

Here are some pictures of what can be done by stumbling around your garage!

You need to install it backwards to get to seal good against the cowl rail. But it still look

good and cost $80 less than the one that doesn't fit!!

IMG_20160328_142713_202[1].jpg

IMG_20160328_142835_152[1].jpg

IMG_20160328_142845_937[1].jpg

Guest kcib2u

Can you send me a pic of the cover you have?  My engine is the 6cyl, and there are several different S-G I've seen.

I would want to make sure it was the correct piece.

Thanks, kc

IMG_20150930_202306_739[1].jpg

Edited by kcib2u (see edit history)

Kc

Your S/G is similar to the design of my 1925.  Delco # 283. Yours should be Delco # 184. ;'I have a spare S/G for mine that is missing the same cover. Terry's is for an earlier style. Ours is cast Iron.DSCF4332.JPG

265075d1408261177-starter-generator-specs-buick-starter-gens.jpg

My end cover Assembly part # is D 15819. I do not have any reference for 1921 year applications but the 1923 4 cylinder D-251 and 6 cylinder D-249  S/Gs show the same part # for the end cover.  D-15819

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)

Larry is right - the cover that I have will not fit this starter/generator unit.  It is identical to the cover on my 1922 Model 48.  According to the chart above the S/G units for the 1921 and 1922 6-Cylinder cars used the same Delco #184 unit.  My 1922 S/G unit does not look like yours.  I am not sure at all what is going on here with the Delco system that you have in the photo.  I have looked at the 1920, 1921, and 1922 Reference Manuals for the 6-Cylinder models and the Starter/Generator units for all three of these model years do not look like what is in your photo.  That is the reason I told you that I have the cover that you were needing.  Something just isn't adding up right here.  If I could only post photos on here I could show you right away in the original factory manuals what is supposed to be on your car's engine.  Referring to the chart above, the D-117 and D-184 units from 1918 to 1922 inclusive looked very similar from outward appearances but we know that internally there were changes.  The unit on your car in the photo looks later than 1921 to me.  Maybe some of the restorers from down under can shed some light on this situation.  This beats the daylights outta me.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Good tip on the windshield rubber but looking at your starter generator it is likely that you have a 23 engine installed in your 21.  If it has no detachable head then it is a 23 last of the cage valve buicks if it has no cage valves and a detachable head it is a 24 or 25.    The number on the engine casting will tell you the story.

Regarding the windshield to cowl 'gasket'.

I found the seal that goes around the lip of a (modern) trunk (boot for some) lid works perfect.  Got one at the bone yard for a couple of bucks, cut to length, a little more trimming on the edges and it was and has been perfect for years.

Most modern trunk lips have the same ~1/2 inch high thin steel edge for the seal to mount on/grab to.

Guest kcib2u

Yes! Thanks so much for all the help! It does appear I have a 1921 frame/body and a 1923, 6cyl cage valve engine and starter/gen (#249)!

Ok, does anybody know where to find a cover for it?  If not, can somebody provide a close up pic of said cover, so I can make one out of wood?

Thanks, KC

I started to do a layout of this in Autodesk Inventor so I could generate a 3-D model. Then I could use our rapid prototyping unit to make them up out of plastic.

Oops! I retired and no longer have access! I will see if I can find the sketch as I said the part # 15819  looks to be the same for most of these units.