1923 Buick Mechanic Work Needed

DaveAspi

I have a 1923 Buick Model 4-39 that has stopped running, and fixing it has surpassed my High School Freshman Auto Shop abilities. I believe the starter has shorted out. Anyway, can anyone on the forum recommend a shop or mobile antique car mechanic in the San Diego, or even SoCal area? Have trailer will travel.

Great running pretty original car up until about 3 months ago. The picture is from last years Huntington Beach Concour d'Elegance where it took 1st place for American Evolutionary cars, as well as 1st place for Peoples Choice!

Thanks for your help, would like to her back on the road SOON!

1923 Buick 39 (3).jpg

1923 Buick.jpg

A better description of the problem might help.

Is the starter tuning over slow, drawing a lot of current (gets hot) ?

If it doesn't turn over at all it is not shorted but you have on open circuit, most likely the switch.

If the battery is charged and all the connections are good  take and jumper cable and go from the battery directly to the starter to bypass the starter switch.  

• Like 1

Yup, a little more info will help us help you.  The starter/generator is a very robust piece of equipment.  I suspect your battery cable may be too small for the extra amps the six volt system needs.  At least clean the connections and recharge your battery before you give it to another mechanic.

• Like 1

Slowly over the past 4 months the foot starter would function intermittently, then ceased to function at all right around Christmas. Battery is good, switch wires good. Traced the wire and connectivity and found that one of the wires inside the starter had its insulation rubbed off over time and it seemed to me to be shorting shorting out on the wall of starter. Of course, I can't get to this wire without taking the starter off, which in-turn is connected to the water-pump and so on down the slippery slope of antique car repair. To make matters worse, the crank nut for manual starting has been broken forever, never though to repair it, due to having the foot starter.

All that being said, would love to just drop the car off, or have a mechanic drop by and just get'r all fixed. Whatever needs repairs, get it repaired.

Guest AlCapone

A good idea is to search out a competent mechanic before you need one. Then he knows the car and you know him. Cars need service regularly and not just when they break down. Many times routine maintenance avoids breakdowns.   Wayne

17 minutes ago, motoringicons said:

Here is a shop that specializes in pre-WWII automobiles. They are good friends of mine and do amazing work whether it be a full restoration or minor repairs. Tell Chris that Guy Z. sent you!

Tired Iron Works

Phone:  (626) 359-9306(626) 359-9306

Did Hibernia Restorations have a shop along that stretch in the late '80's. I remember stooping and talking to some friendly guys doing a '40's Continental there and a few blocks away was a Ford/Streetrod catalog store. The guy used to put out a cartoony looking catalog similar to the old Honest Charlie's one. Good memories from my cogeneration trips and running alone Foothill.

Bernie

If all else fails, Jason Smith can get her done for you. He understands these starters inside and out.  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/154337-generator-starter-distributor-restoration-services/ The guys working on your car for you most likely already know this.

I sent him a 1915 Buick Starter Generator with a Duesy of a problem a while back. (Not my own)  My thought is that someone at one time put the wrong armature in it as on click over mode it turned backward and would not click. The only thing I though that would do this is an armature wound 1/8th of a turn different. The Hudson Delco system was set up that way as the brushes were at an angle on the click over, generator end of the Delco unit. Not sure how he is making out with it, but I'm sure he will get er done. Dandy Dave!