What to do? 12 Volt Conversion Question

MarkV

Why convert in the first place?

Our cars ran just fine the way they were designed - with a 6-Volt system.

Keep the contacts and grounds clean.

Use the proper sized battery cables - or upgrade to OOO cables

You will not need to worry about a hydraulic pump.

If you insist on "fixing" something which isn't broken, you'll have a myriad  of complicated variances, gauge readings, etc - 

(but you could just swap out for a 12-Volt starter motor to run that pump, and 12-volt cylinders for the windows, seat, and convertible top

Just FYI, this car has a newer v-8 (placed there before I got a hold of it and a messy conversion). All contacts are clean and tight, proper cables, timing set correctly, etc. I would prefer to have it over to 12 volt due to the accessibility of parts. Also the easier starting is a plus. Also, I want to place a hidden radio (12 volt) within the car. I am aware of the 6 volt systems, I have one in my '21 and in my '41 that work just fine. This '48 has always had issues due to the newer engine and the mismatched 6 volt electrical system. 

6 Volt starters will last for years with a 12 Volt battery hooked to them. The windings have heavier wire as 6 volt components need higher amperage to work on 6 volt. What usually burns them out is Low Voltage, Or an engine that is in bad need of a tuneup or other work that starts hard. Even 12 Volt starters suffer when cranked too long. In turn, Higher voltage on the top motor should not be a problem unless you run it hard and strain it often, or have something binding in the system putting an overload on it. Dandy Dave!  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)