1963-65 Riviera rear rocker panel drain opening

OldGerman

Hello 1st. gen Riviera owners,

can somebody tell me, if the inner rocker panel drain opening was plugged somehow ? (see picture)

Does somebody has a picture, how this plug looks like.  Was it made by rubber, by steel, or did BUICK just leave it open ?

Thank you all for your help on this question.

Frank

post-145872-0-30855300-1457793573_thumb.

Don't think they were left open Frank.

On '68 inner rocker panels, drain holes were plugged with a rubber insert that had a flap style cover to allow dirt and moisture to come out. These access points could also be used to oil spray the inaccessible, untreated, interior surfaces of the rocker panel to slow down or prevent premature rusting.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

I just looked at my car......there is a rubber flap that hangs over the bottom big square hole. It has a rubber block

built into the top of it that snaps into the small hole on the top . That's  what holds it on. the rubber flap is not    attached to the bottom hole in any way, it just hangs over it like a curtain.

Cars shows them in their Riviera catalog ...

(Group 8) Hood • Front Fenders • Rocker Panels

Here is a link to the page ... if it works ...

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cart/pdf/catriv/riv08.pdf

The part number is RP635, it is listed on the right column of the second page at the bottom.

Found another link that takes you to a buy it now page, same price but more current I believe ...

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cart/product_info.php?products_id=859

I'm not sure if there are others that have it, I just ran across it while looking at something else.

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)

Hello.

Thank you all for the info and pictures.

That is a simple plug, but it totally make sense, because it keeps the way open for water to flow out and covers against dirt to come in.

I will order them with the next bulk order at CARS Inc. 

Thanks again !!

Frank

OK Riviera People: I can't tell how many plugs I pried out. The First-gen 1/4 panel plugs at the front of the inside apron is a pesky one. Knock it out and get in there with a hose, air hose/nozzle and vacuum cleaner and clean it out. That is a great hiding place for the Tin Worm Army to hide.   I NEVER put one back and would NEVER even consider doing so.  Mitch