65 radio install

jframe

My 65 has the stock, am/fm factory radio, dash speaker, and rear seat speaker. Anybody ever use the Custom Autosound setups? I am thinking of using the USA630 model with a nice replacement type dash speaker, and a replacement rear seat speaker. How does the factory radio come out? I know the dash speaker probably removes when you take out the dashpad, but I'm not sure about how to remove the rear speaker. I don't want to just start removing screws, and end up with a mess. Any and all replies are much appreciated; you folks have given me several great leads so far on how to take car of this beautiful car!

The front speaker is bolted to the grill, which is bolted to the dash pad, so that needs to come out.  Its only four screws.

The radio is attached to the surround on the dash.  The screws that mount it to the dash are accessible behind the AC Control panel trim, thats held in with screws next to the cigarette lighter and unplug the lighter.  You might have to pull the shifter surround to give enough room to slide the lower piece out.  Its all phillips screws so nothing fancy.  The radio may be bolted to the dash frame by a 5/16s bolt.

The rear speaker is mounted to the center frame in the rear seat, There is a small trim panel that you pry up and wil access the two screws at the bottom and it slips out of of to slots in the rear package tray.

The custom auto sound stuff fits nicely, have it all in my car.  Just remember the front is a 5X7 speaker and the rear is a 6X9.

here is a link to another conversation on the topic   http://forums.aaca.org/topic/259940-retro-radios-question/

• Like 1

The front speaker is bolted to the grill, which is bolted to the dash pad, so that needs to come out.  Its only four screws.

The radio is attached to the surround on the dash.  The screws that mount it to the dash are accessible behind the AC Control panel trim, thats held in with screws next to the cigarette lighter and unplug the lighter.  You might have to pull the shifter surround to give enough room to slide the lower piece out.  Its all phillips screws so nothing fancy.  The radio may be bolted to the dash frame by a 5/16s bolt.

The rear speaker is mounted to the center frame in the rear seat, There is a small trim panel that you pry up and wil access the two screws at the bottom and it slips out of of to slots in the rear package tray.

The custom auto sound stuff fits nicely, have it all in my car.  Just remember the front is a 5X7 speaker and the rear is a 6X9.

here is a link to another conversation on the topic   http://forums.aaca.org/topic/259940-retro-radios-question/

Great, thanks for the info! I was under the assumption that the front speaker was a 4X10. Custom Autosound's website shows that as a replacement; so a 5X7 will go in it's place?

The front speaker is a 4 x 10 and it has a low profile.  The rear seat speaker is a 6 x 9.  These are 10 ohm speakers and need to be replaced with the same.  If you use the modern 4 ohm speaker, it won't take long for you to ruin the radio. 

If you're replacing the radio with something newer, you're going to have a hard time finding a 4 x 10 that's narrow enough to fit the speaker grill and not interfere with the top of the radio.  In my opinion, if you're using the stock radio, you should have the original speakers refurbished.

Take a look at what this firm has to offer.

http://www.turnswitch.com/

Ed

Thanks Ed, now more things to spend money on!

That is great info as upgrading the Sonomatic was on my list and almost bought a MP3 AM/FM player a few weeks back. I think that this route is much simpler and gives 2016 performance and features. Ok no screen, but an aftermarket unit would be hidden anyway. And they have an Australian agent too!

Great thinking, excellent post, many thanks!

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:28 PM, jframe said:

My 65 has the stock, am/fm factory radio, dash speaker, and rear seat speaker. Anybody ever use the Custom Autosound setups? I am thinking of using the USA630 model with a nice replacement type dash speaker, and a replacement rear seat speaker. How does the factory radio come out? I know the dash speaker probably removes when you take out the dashpad, but I'm not sure about how to remove the rear speaker. I don't want to just start removing screws, and end up with a mess. Any and all replies are much appreciated; you folks have given me several great leads so far on how to take car of this beautiful car!

My cautionary tale...

My '63 came with a CAS radio and a trunk mounted CD changer. Within a year, the radio stopped working. Now, four years later, the 2nd unit appears to have stopped working again. I may try installing my original radio...

Guest dwhiteside64
On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:14 AM, RivNut said:

The front speaker is a 4 x 10 and it has a low profile.  The rear seat speaker is a 6 x 9.  These are 10 ohm speakers and need to be replaced with the same.  If you use the modern 4 ohm speaker, it won't take long for you to ruin the radio. 

If you're replacing the radio with something newer, you're going to have a hard time finding a 4 x 10 that's narrow enough to fit the speaker grill and not interfere with the top of the radio.  In my opinion, if you're using the stock radio, you should have the original speakers refurbished.

Take a look at what this firm has to offer.

http://www.turnswitch.com/

Ed

Those are great looking speakers, but I decided to gut my old 4x10 and mount a modern high fidelity TV speaker inside the frame. It fit perfectly and sounds great. It only cost me $4 and because the speaker is mounted under the dash pad there's really no way to see the modifications made to the original speaker..... :)

Are you connecting these speakers to an original radio or something aftermarket?  If it's an original radio, pay heed to the ohms of the speakers. If they're anything less than 8 ohms, it won't take long for your head unit to burn out.  :)

Got all new Custom Autosound stuff in the old Riv now. Integrated really nice in the dash and speaker area. Thanks to forum member Alini for the dash speaker; fit like a glove. I have a ipod input, and another headphone type plug that is run down to my ashtray area. I used the knobs that come with the radio kit, but I just wonder if the stock Riviera knobs will fit the Custom Autosound chassis. May have to try them this weekend. Radio sounds great, and works great with my power antenna as well. Has a neat vintage look to it, especially when the unit is switched off.

Guest dwhiteside64
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 0:35 PM, RivNut said:

Are you connecting these speakers to an original radio or something aftermarket?  If it's an original radio, pay heed to the ohms of the speakers. If they're anything less than 8 ohms, it won't take long for your head unit to burn out.  :)

I'm using the original stock radio. There are indeed 8 Ohm speakers, to make sure I measured them myself. :D

Edited by dwhiteside64 (see edit history)