"Rolling Car Show" at Strasburg Railroad on July 16

jpdv

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with Strasburg Railroad.

Here's a heads up on a fun car show on July 16 this year:  Strasburg RR's "Rolling Car Show", in Strasburg PA.  I've participated for the last 3 years and really enjoyed it.  It's free for exhibitors, and is limited to original (not modified) cars vintage 1942 and older.  The cars are parked on a paved lot on the opposite side of the tracks from the train station.  Steam trains run all day.  Car show participants get 2 free train tickets.  In the past, there has been a great variety of interesting cars, including brass era, Model A and Dodge Bros clubs, & a variety of restored and unrestored cars & trucks.  There is no judging and no flea market, but some good activities. 

One of my favorite activities is "chasing the train" in which 3-4 cars drive on a dirt road parallel to the track, along side a steam passenger train.  They run 2 trains, so you chase one train east, then wait a few minutes and chase another train west.  Trains run every 30 min, so there's no problem signing up for a slot. The passengers on the train go crazy when they see the cars out the window!

Another favorite of mine is giving rides.  This is voluntary for the car owners.  If you volunteer (for 1 hr), the RR lets anybody with a train ticket go for a ride with you in your car around a 2-3 acre grass field.  The passengers that I've had all LOVE this event, and it's usually the only time they've ever been in an old car.  The kids are especially fun.

In the past, the RR has had people talk about their cars for the benefit of the railroad visitors.  They parked 2 cars at a time near the station and interviewed the owners.  I think last year they might have interviewed owners on the train during a ride.  I don't know - I didn't do that.  Maybe there will be some other activity this year.

I think you can just show up Saturday morning with your car, but in previous years there has been a pre-registration.  I'd recommend contacting the railroad using contact info from their website.  You can also find videos of previous events easily through a google search.

I hope this appeals to some of you - it's a favorite of mine!

Joe

That's great Joe. I wish I could attend. About 15 years ago we visited the museum and took a ride on the train. Don't forget to go right across and see the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. You can get a combo. pass for both.

engineer-and-mom-and-sons.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

is this the east strasburg railroad in pa.?  we went there on our honeymoon in 1981   if its the same rr they stop out in a field and blow the whistle   it echoes back off the foothills a few moments later  id love to be there but its a 1000 mile drive  but im gona check it out for sure

Sounds like a great event. Might have to attend, especially since it's only 35 miles from home. As a totally off topic aside I spent 4 months in 1970 wandering around India. At that time there was only 1 train route in India that wasn't still steam. The 70 mile or so line from Delhi to the Taj Mahal was diesel. Other than that all were steam. I rode well over 2000 miles behind chugging coal fired steamers, some still hand stoked if you can believe it. After experiencing the filth associated with coal fired steam engines and passenger cars with no air conditioning some of the romance tends to wear off.

We stopped there on the way back from the Buick Club National Meet in Virginia and loved it.

Had the dinning car lunch ticket and they did stop, blow the whistle and the echo is spectacular along with the views!

As mentioned visit the Pennsylvania RR Museum, you can spend a day there seeing everything both inside & out.

Also make sure you go see (and eat at) the Red Caboose Motel / Restaurant. They brought in a collection of them, fixed them up and you can stay. Never did that but thought it was unique and would have been fun especially having the kids with us.  :D

If you love steam trains, this is the place to visit! Can only imagine having antique cars there too and being involved.  :)

Have fun everyone! B)