Introducing ourselves as new members

Guest Phillip1941BuickSpecial

David and Philip, I realize that there are people in the hobby

who change from 6 volts to 12 volts.  I'd say most do not, however.

Consider saving yourself the time and money and NOT doing it.

If a 6-volt car is operating properly, it is fine.  Those systems

were engineered properly back then, and they work well now.

Even such a major car collector as Jay Leno (see his videos)

recommends NOT changing from 6 to 12 volts.

The headaches of the changeover rarely outweigh the advantages. Sure, the starter might spin a little faster, but beyond that, you're going to have a whole slew of issues. Lights, clock, gauges, voltage regulator, points, etc, are all going to need to be changed--and to what? Do you know  what the 12V replacements are? I don't. More often than not, people disconnect all the original gauges, throw some crappy Summit Racing gauges under the dash, and claim that they don't want dash lights and clocks anyway, then pretend that they've "upgraded" the car somehow. If you're not planning a big stereo or A/C, you just don't need it.

Keep it as original and not only will you not create a bunch of extra work for yourselves but you will also preserve the car's value. I know I put a big discount on any car with such an upgrade when I go to buy or consign such a thing, simply because I know an amateur has been messing with the electrical system and it won't be easy to service or intuitive to work on anymore.

If it's not too late, don't do it. Get an Optima battery, make sure the generator and regulator are working properly (it's all in the manual), and clean all the grounds. The car will start and run just fine, the sealed-beam headlights will be plenty bright, and you won't have to reinvent the wheel.

This is coming from the owner of two 1941 Buicks, both running 6V electrical systems. Hope it helps.

• Like 3

Thanks for allowing us to join and for any help you might offer. Best regards, Phillip & Dave

I would try to ask on the Buick section further down on the list of sections.

If that fails to find the part, maybe try ebay under vintage parts/engine components.

If that fails, look on web for a major Buick repro parts place, because if it is a rubber type damper, they might offer rebuilts.   I suppose they might demand a core, though.

One major failure on a 12v swap on starter types that use a "bendix spring", that spring has a very good chance of breaking at some point IF the starter was not rewound to 12v specs.   A 6v starter, used with 12v really overspins that spring with an initial violent shock.

Nice to see another prewar car going back on the road 

As Matt already stated there is nothing wrong with a 6 volt system.

All of the cars in our stable that were born with 6 volt are still 6 volt.

With a good battery and a good charging system a 6 volt car will perform as well as a 12 volt.

If you are going to do a lot of night driving consider a 6 volt alternator.

Remember the Buick Engineers in 1941 were some of the best and brightest in the world.

Guest AlCapone

My mechanic does not agree with the change and what he says goes with me, he has all my 6 volt systems operating properly and the cars run just fine. So 6 volt they stay. Wayne

Mr. FJ, everyone's replies were courteous and factual and were done

to help a fellow hobbyist.  We all learn from others.

It's just as someone on another thread asked about woodgrainers,

and some people offered him ways he could do his own woodgraining.

He would not be overly sensitive or offended by helpful suggestions.

Him: "Hey, I'm about to shoot myself in the head. Can you recommend the best place to get bullets for my gun?"

Us: "Don't shoot yourself in the head! You're going to regret it. We can help you get through it."

Him: Kicks ball into the woods and goes home.

• Like 1

Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

The guy was very cordial in introducing he and his friend....which is quite nice for a person who came here just looking for a part for a STOCK antique car.

instead, he received a "pile on".  Not one of you tried to help with the part he wanted.

I have been away from this website for several years, and was very surprised to see a near ghost town.   Many different types of hobby websites are dying off, and my only point was to see people get welcomed FIRST, and try to help with what they need,.... then cordially report problem areas on 12v conversions..

Funny on how it's always been acceptable to rip up a nice survivor ACD sedan or Packard, to make a repro dual cowl or speedster....but 12v causes a hissy fit.

I have been away from this website for several years, and was very surprised to see a near ghost town....

Funny on how it's always been acceptable to rip up a nice survivor ACD sedan or Packard, to make a repro dual cowl or speedster....

This forum thrives--almost too well!  In the General Discussion

and overall Buy-Sell categories, topics often go off the front page in

a single day.  However, if you're in an obscure category such as Chandler,

a month may go by with almost no activity.

Mr. FJ, I agree that ANY car, especially the Auburn-Duesenberg

cars, should be kept with their original bodies to preserve history.

Have you noticed how almost every Auburn for sale is an open car?!

And when was the last time that you saw a Duesenberg victoria coupe?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Hi John S,

I have been off this site for I guess 3 years, so I do see a change in some of the forums here.   It is something going on in the current times that seems to be affecting any type of hobby forum websites.  I doubt there is a simple answer.

Some of the members here that are still running their own restoration threads, choose to use a "Brand specific" forum here, rather than use the general "Our Cars and Restoration" forum.   I wonder if they may feel more welcomed or appreciated on the " Brand specific" forums. 

I am aware that our local AACA show does allow rods, but I miss the days (or decades) when even a local show would have countless prewar stock cars. So, I surely would not have a problem with a stock prewar car showing up with a 12v conversion, especially if the owner took the effort to attend, rather than feeling out of place, and staying home.  It's not a big catastrophe.

Times have changed, but I still look at all this as purely a hobby.  If a person asks for help, then try to help, or hit the back button.  :)