Looking for original 401 engine from my '59 Electra 225

59Lectra

Hello all, my name is Corey and I am working on restoring my 1959 Buick Electra 225 flat top (model 4839). I recently discovered the original 401c.i. Nailhead engine in my Buick has been replaced with a 364c.i. out of a 58 Buick.

I know it's a very long shot. But I figured I would post this in the off chance it might be sitting in someone's garage or in a parts car or salvage yard something. I would really like to find the original 401c.i. Nailhead engine that is original to my 1959 Buick Electra 225. VIN stamped in front of the valley pan should be 8F4025823. I don't care what condition it is in. I am ready and willing to pay if it is found. Or if it would appeal to the current owner I would be willing to make trades. I have 59 Buick parts and other items of value. I would also be willing swap the 364 in my car now for the correct 401. Just name your price.

So if any of you have a car with a Buick 401 engine, or one sitting in a shop or a parts car, or know of a 401 in a salvage yard somewhere, I would very greatly appreciate it if you could check the code stamped just in front of the valley cover for me. 

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to check their engine block for me. If you find it or have any sort of lead, you can contact me anytime via call or text at (701) 367-2002. If I do not answer, please leave a message. Thanks for your time!

Corey

Edited by 59Lectra (see edit history)

I know it's a very very very very long shot, but my boss managed to track down the original engine for his hemi cuda convertible, so I figured I would at least try.

I haven't tracked the history of the car back that far yet. I figure it must have happened earlier in its life, as the build plant code is the same on both.

How do you get a re-stamped block?

Edited by 59Lectra (see edit history)

A re stamped block is any engine where the original stamp is ground off. I have heard this is done but really, is that necessary? Besides potentially being illegal, it reeks of deception.

Chances are thats how your boss found his " original" engine.

Most likely the timing chain failed on the original 401 and that engine wound up in a scrap yard in exchange for the current engine. Justfind another 401 and practice saying " I replaced the engine".

• Like 1

Well as of now I have nothing but time to find an engine. So I figured I would at least try to post this in the off chance someone has the original sitting around. If it doesn't turn up I'll just get another 401. But for now I'll leave this post up and maybe someone with some useful tip will see it. You never know, crazier things have happened.

• Like 1

Years ago (1980) I traced down the original 327/365hp long block for my 64 corvette by doing a title search through state of Oregon dmv. Figuring to be a long shot I found the car had two previous owners back to new and sure enough the first owner still had the original engine from air cleaner to oil pan laying in the corner of his garage.He spun a rod bearing and pulled it to replace it with a 327 truck motor. After arranging a meeting imagine my surprise to have this gentleman give it to me! Keep looking.

A friend of  mine has the paper work to support an engine replacement in his '65 Gran Sport.  The warrantied engine does not have a stamped Engine Serial Code on it because it was a factory replacement that did not any specific chassis / VIN.  Just put enough paint on it cover the old numbers and let people wonder what you have.  As far as you're concerned, "it's the engine that came with the car when you bought it."  Because of starters and water pumps, I'd look for another '59 engine, but that's as far as my search would go.

OK Buick People: I have a friend who procured an open chambered 427 Chev Rat motor....from an original L-88 Corvette. This was early 80s. The late 80s came along and I kept pestering him to find the car it came out of and buy it because it would be....at that time a hundred grand, easy! He had it in his 55, then his Anglia, then a 40 Chev and who knows what racer he's got it in today.

Today? He could conceivably go into minor debt to at least hunt down and possibly procure the body the engine came from because it's at least a couple-a mil.

Other than a cheap fun treasure hunt with not much energy spent  I believe it to be a fool's errand.

Mitch