65 Riviera Defrost Ductwork

Crazy4cruz

So I'm finally getting around to putting everything back together for my heater core and carpeting replacement and remembered I needed to track down one part.  There is a piece of ductwork that snaps into the top of the heater core box that runs from the top of the heater core box to the defrost vent at the bottom of the windshield.  Mine appeared to be made of rubber and was very brittle.  The thing pretty much crumbled when I took the heater core out last fall.  Basically looks like a rectangular funnel about 6 inches wide at the base and maybe 10 inches at the top.  I can find all kinds of round flex duct on the internet but don't see this part anywhere. Anyone have any ideas where I could track this down or have any experience replacing this with something else?

Many thanks for the help.

Richard T

I know what you're talking about as I just re-installed mine this week.  I was not able to remove it without tearing it some, but luckily I was able to just wrap some dynamat  around the damaged part and it was ok.  If you can't find the part, I think you could make one out of a few sheets of rubber or some thin aluminum ducting sheet metal.  If you do make it out of sheet metal or aluminum, I would wrap it with dynamat or stinger roadkill or something similar to insulate for sound and heat..  The top would just wrap around the duct connection and you would just have to use some RTV or adhesive to attach the lower connection.  Since it only feeds the defrost duct when you use it occasionally, it's not critical that it's airtight.  The rest of the time the heater box door closes it off and you don't have to worry about it leaking.

Best bet would be to find one, but this is a part that could be made pretty easily and doesnt have to be super pretty b/c no one will ever see it.  Good luck.