55 Century trany leak

Guest gmeyer316

Guest gmeyer316

Hello again, you all helped me awhile back with a carb issue, well got a new one. When I first got the car it had had a fresh engine rebuild but I don't think any tranny work was done. Have driven it a hundred or so miles with no tranny leakage, after the last time I parked it in the garage it commenced to leaking probably half its contents all over the floor. Its pretty dirty and greasy so I intend to go at it with brake cleaner to see if I can find the leak or leaks. Anyone have any ideas where to look or has anyone had this problem? I know with my Harley if you leave it alone for several months it will puke a bunch of oil after first start up but. The car has 95k miles on it. Thanks

Greg

From my understanding the dynaflow leaks regularly(small amounts) from the torque ball seal at the rear of the transmission.   However, large puddles are a concern as you noted.  If you find the torque ball seal is bad be sure to replace with a vulcanized rubber seal.

This picture of the torque ball seal is from another AACA thread that also concerned a leaking Dynaflow.   

56_Buick_Special_90.JPG   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Not sure how cheap brake clean is over there, but its not that cheap here :) , pressure washer would be better to get all the dirt ect off

It really could be anywhere, bit check the oil level on the stick first and see how full it is (engine off), I think it will be way overfull, meaning the converter has drained back into the trans, over filling it

Just a guess :)

Mick

... check the oil level on the stick first and see how full it is (engine off), I think it will be way overfull, meaning the converter has drained back into the trans, over filling it

Just a guess :)

Mick

Very good guess, and most likely the problem.   When the pan is overfull it will leak at the pan gasket, speedometer connection, torque ball and will often puke tranny fluid out the dip stick filler on first start up...but only if it didn't leak down from somewhere else first.:(

Fix the pan gasket and it will be dry until you start it.

Willie

What makes the converter leak out?

The way it was explained to me is the sealing rings (which look like a piston ring) on the input shaft have a small gap that allows fluid to drain out of the converter.  Of my 3-55 the one that is the worst is the lowest mileage one :(.

Willie

• 2 weeks later...

The way it was explained to me is the sealing rings (which look like a piston ring) on the input shaft have a small gap that allows fluid to drain out of the converter.  Of my 3-55 the one that is the worst is the lowest mileage one :(.

Willie

My 55 Century sat for many years and when I topped off the trans fluid and then put the trans in gear to test forward and reverse, it moved the car, but poured fluid out of the Bell housing inspection opening like the Exxon Valdis in Alaska. I tried it twice thinking it might stop after it ran for awhile. I've decided to remove it and install my 56 Trans. Do ya think it needs seals and gaskets or is this another weird thing Dynafows due after sitting for so long. I don't think I want to spend more on Trans fluid experimenting. Your thoughts please, if you could. Greg

Here's a question for the Dynaflow gurus.  

Assuming the fluid level is at the Full mark on the transmission dip stick, and assuming the car sits for a long period of time without running (say a month or so), could the converter leak fluid back into the pan and overflow through the pan gasket?  In other words, even at the proper fluid level could circumstances fill up the pan above the pan gasket level?

I am 100% NOT a dynaflow expert (or any auto actually), but converter drain back is an issue with the cast iron torquflites that I have dealt with (and rebuilt 1 of)

My dodge does not seem to have this issue (the one I rebuilt), but my plymouth will be happy as larry then at any given time, I will have a huge puddle of oil under it

With the tf trans, its not the pan gasket thats the problem, it will leak out of the shift cable (if the plastic sleeving is no good) or out of the kick down lever seal, both of these areas have been addressed with the dodge when I re built the trans and I havnt actually checked to see if the torque converter is draining back (it hasnt dropped its oil :) )

The real check is to check the oil level (engine off) and then come and check it again in a day or so and see if it changed

On the other side of the coin, if the gasket is leaking anyway, then it will obviously leak out of there once the oil level gets above it (mostly caused by the over tightening of the pan and causing the bolt holes to push up and reducing the proper "crush" of the gasket between the holes

In the case of converter drain back, once you start the engine and let it idle a bit, the converter will re fill and if the oil has not leaked out, it will just read the correct oil level and work perfectly

Stupid autos, but I am not a fan of clutch changes either :)

Mick

My 55 Century sat for many years and when I topped off the trans fluid and then put the trans in gear to test forward and reverse, it moved the car, but poured fluid out of the Bell housing inspection opening like the Exxon Valdis in Alaska. I tried it twice thinking it might stop after it ran for awhile. I've decided to remove it and install my 56 Trans. Do ya think it needs seals and gaskets or is this another weird thing Dynafows due after sitting for so long. I don't think I want to spend more on Trans fluid experimenting. Your thoughts please, if you could. Greg

The two most common areas for front leaks are the big O-ring between the halves of the torque converter ( actually a square ring );  and the front pump seal.  Age makes these very hard to the point of not sealing or even breaking.  At this point you probably should go through the whole transmission.

Willie

Agree with Willie. According to Jim Hughes of Jim's Dynaflow Service, those o rings and seals can get very hard just as Willie said.

That can lead to loss of pressure within the trans to engage the clutch plates properly leading to overheated and warped steel plates as is the case of a 54 which he is currently rebuilding.