Converting a generator into an alternator

R Walling

I have a 55 Chrysler that I wish to convert the generator into a 12v alternator.  

The Generator has the power steering pump on the back of it and I want to keep the original look.

Does anyone know of a company that does this generator conversion?

Thank you,

Roger

Rusty, with due respect, I have had troubles with the generator since I owned one in 1958.

I went through several regulators, generators and batteries in it. (all with professional help)

My latest 55 had 6 volts and a fresh rebuild inc starter brushes and bushings. It was slow starting so I installed an 8 volt batt and increased the voltage regulator.

Still had problems. I switched to 12 volt with a 12 v gen. and starter. Now the gen. has quit. and so have I!

I am going to put an alternator on it even if I have to put a pulley                        on the drive shaft to run it! (;-)

I can rebuild the generator to 12 volts and also convert your regulator to an electronic 12 volt as well. The electronic regulators I use provide a very smooth output and are very reliable, and I use the original case so everything looks original and stock. I do not convert generators to alternators and last I knew the power steering generator could not be converted. Let me know if the first option interests you at all.

Thanks,

Jason 

Since the 55 is 6 volt I guess you are considering a conversion the 12 volt.

The 56 looks identical and is 12 volts, I have been driving mine for many years with no problems.

Make sure that when you find the donor car you get everything else as well as the radio, gas gauge, and the likes wont work either.

8 volts is the oldest crutch known to the six volt cars and open up a whole new set of problems.

There is nothing wrong with a generator and stock for the year works best.

The delco generators that I've seen converted were done by taking one of the small import alternators and chucking it in a lathe turned the outside diameter and lugs to press fit inside the generator case. With a bit of work the front plate of the generator is put back on and the pulley replaced from the generator onto the alternator. There is some wiring to be done from the altenator up through where the regulator was to keep it all looking original. Not hard but a lot of work!

Roger: a properly built generator can be very reliable and sounds like you already have a 12v system. The major difference between an alternator and a generator (besides an alternator being cheaper to build) is that the power from a gen is pretty linear with RPM while an equal alternator will have a higher output at idle.

If you send a lot of time with the AC on and idling or hours driving at walking speed with the lights on in a parade then an alternator is the way to go. Otherwise a generator is fine.