Winterizing 64 Riv that sits in carport

bodayguy

It's rainy rainy rainy here in the PNW and I haven't driven the RIv in 3-4 weeks. Decided today to go ahead and pull the battery cables off.

It sits in a carport, covered. I don't have a garage.

I guess I will try and start it once a month but not sure what to do with it. I hate driving it in the rain because the brakes are so touchy and the weather stripping needs to be fixed.

Any advice?

Mine sits in a non-heated garage, and covered for the long winter sleep. I never start it during the winter months.

Just add some Stabil to a full gas tank, and change the oil 'n filter in the Fall. The battery is removed, stored indoors and placed on a trickle charger. One of the reasons for not starting the car is the fact that it never really reaches full operating temperature, so your just wasting expensive fuel, not to mention what the moisture generated by starting does to the exhaust system, and internal engine parts. Replace the battery in the Spring and your good to go for another season. Some people also place the car on jack stands to remove the weight off the tires and suspension parts. I used to do that, but don't bother any more.

I neglected to mention: check the condition, and strength of your antifreeze mixture.

Very necessary in geographic locations where winter temperatures drop below freezing !

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

OK Rich: I have a deep cycle marine battery I use in several of my old heaps. I keep it on that 2 amp float charge. I start my cars as often as possible and let them warm up. Not too big a waste of fuel, I don't think. The Stabil fuel stuff is fine with a full tank...make sure the gas cap is new too.

Always bleed the brakes and keep fresh oil in the crankcase along with a quart of Marvel's Mystery Oil before anything...including winter storage. Eventually in time you're going to loose things (muffs, carbs, batteries, fuel pumps, etc) but this is the most reasonable insurance to preserve long term storage. Mitch.

If it's going to sit, it might not hurt to get the tires off the ground.  I let a car set over the winter one time and wound up having a flat spot on each tire.  IF, you do start it and let it get up to operating temperature, then if it were on jack stands, you could also put it in gear and idle it and let the rear end move some lubricant around. 

I'm going to try and drive it around once a month. It has brand new Coker tires, I don't want those getting messed up!

Never thought to pull the battery and have a trickle charger in the house. That makes total sense. I can't really get a power cord to the car in the carport (condo setup) without pissing off a neighbor or something for having a cord out there. So I hadn't bought a charger, I was just using the jump box I have.

Edited by bodayguy (see edit history)

Rich,

I have read many articles on what to do to put your car away for the winter. One of the tips that I picked up was one to prevent flat spots on the tires. Before you put your car away pump your tires up to 45-50 lbs. I have been doing this for 12 years now and my Riviera is the second car I have done this to and have not had any tire issues from sitting over the winter. I had to store my 1963 Pontiac Lemans convertible for a couple of winters under a car port with a flagstone floor. I bought 2-10 X 20 tarps. I laid one tarp an the ground and drove the car onto that  I put my car cover on and then covered the car with the other tarp and basically wrapped the car up like a big Christmas present, using twine to secure the tarps. I put moth balls in zip lock bags with holes punched in them in the trunk, the passenger compartment and the engine compartment to keep out the critters. I live in central Wisconsin and the winters get pretty nasty. When spring came around I unwrapped the car and it was always safe, sound and dry. If you would do this where you are a desiccant may be a good idea also.

Bill

Never thought to pull the battery and have a trickle charger in the house. That makes total sense.

Or perhaps you can do as we used to do in the Army.  Each of our High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles (Hummer or Humvee for you civilians) had a solar powered 12V trickle charge mounted to the fender.  I'm not suggesting that you screw one to your fender, but I'm betting you could place one close to your car and let the sun shine in - free energy.  Amazon sells them pretty inexpensively.

Ed

Guest dwhiteside64

... I bought 2-10 X 20 tarps. I laid one tarp an the ground and drove the car onto that  I put my car cover on and then covered the car with the other tarp and basically wrapped the car up like a big Christmas present, using twine to secure the tarps. I put moth balls in zip lock bags with holes punched in them in the trunk, the passenger compartment and the engine compartment to keep out the critters....

I actually bought a pre-fabbed car bag that's exactly like Bill described. It's open on three sides and zips completely shut. It's heavy duty vinyl and requires a car cover in order to protect the clear coat finish. It also comes with plenty of desiccant pouches. I have used it for three seasons without any problems whatsoever. They say they are for indoor use only but I think they would still work great in your situation as it is made of a very sturdy vinyl material, similar to a boat tarp.

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/rhino-shelter-car-storage-bag