1949 Roadmaster sedanette newbie

oldstyle

Hello,

I just picked up a 49 Roadmaster sedanette that's in rough condition. 

I'm learning that some parts are difficult to locate -

Parking light chrome

Most of the side stainless

rear seat

skirts

I've always wanted one of these so I picked it up. I know it's a big task but I'm in no rush.
I know the 49 is a one year only body. Is there any parts that are only 49 roadmaster sedanette?
I'm guessing that any Roadmaster/Super can supply the skirts ( Haven't found a good set yet).
What other models share the rear seat? I'm hoping that's not too hard to find.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Raul
57 Buick
37 Zephyr

post-91138-0-43290200-1445489049_thumb.j

1949 Super sedanet and 1948 and 1949 Olds 98 sedanet would have the same rear seat (center armrest might be different). Also, the 1948 and 1949 Cadillac 2-dr. fastback would have the same rear seat dimensions. Olds 98 and Cadillac used the new 1949 body in some of their 1948 models. '49 Super and Roadmaster should have the same fender skirts. I have an N.O.S. passenger door for 1949 Buick sedanets. Parking light chrome is easy to find for '49 Buicks--on Ebay all the time. I have some that needs replating and is pitted, if you aren't too picky. Congratulations on finding one of the most beautiful Buicks ever built, which is well worth restoring. You need to join the Buick Club of America and get the monthly magazine, for help with parts, etc.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful information. It will really help me find a seat.

Luckily new floor pans and rocker panels are available because mine are bad.

I do see the parking lights on ebay but not the long chrome strips that follow behind them. If you have those I'd be interested.

I haven't been a member of the BCA for a few years. With this new project I will be joining again.

Thanks again,

Raul

Other suggestions: get air in the tires, or replacement tires. If it's sitting on all four, like it should, you'll be able to envision it completed, providing extra motivation while doing the work to bring it back.

BTW, for tires, you may be able to source used tires from any tire shop.  They don't have to match, just hold air.

• Like 1

eBay sellers have all sorts of trim for sale for these cars.  I have a "saved search" I follow everyday on 1949 Buicks:  http://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors-/6000/i.html?_dct=1&_rdc=1&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_nkw=1949+buick+-franklin+-ad+-diecast+-brochure+-sign+-1%2F32+-1%2F43+-brooklin&_trksid=m194&_ipg=

The parking lights and trim are on there now.   Seats are out there but not on eBay now - too bulky to ship - contact sellers that appear to be parting out cars and they can pull them for you.

As to side trim for the rear fenders, those are truly rare.  The rest of the side trim is  also on eBay regularly - for now.  There were a pair of fender skirts on eBay this month for this car : http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-1949-BUICK-FENDER-SKIRTS-ABSOLUTE-RUST-FREE-/400986118738?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=9KjGyQt%252F9nFqxuODUYXOX7B0ZFY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc  Seller might still have them. 

These parts are out there but do keep going up in value/price year to year.   Have fun!

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)

JohnD

-------Thanks, but the tires are flat on purpose for now. Just to make sure car won't roll.

DanO

-------I'm checking ebay all the time. Many of the parts Im looking for are in pretty bad shape on there or they are incorrect for the year/model. I lived close to the Buick Bonery before they closed. Wish they were still around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...