Center Link 1964 Riviera

kreed

Help- The center link on my 64 Riviera needs to be replaced. I am told that that are no new replacements being manufactured and that you must send your in for "refurbishing" . Is that true and if so, does anyone have any recommendations as who would do a good job. Also, are the center links for a 64 and 65 the same ?  I have a 65 that I will be restoring in the next few months so if they are same I will send that one in so I can get my 64 back on the road before the snow flies and then refurbish my old 64 center link  to put back on the 65 in the Spring. Appreciate any help. Thanks  

Kendall Reed

ROA 14549

63, 64, 65 use the same center link.  The part is unique to 1st gen Riv's and there are no aftermarket parts available as far as I know.  Can't comment on the re-builders as I've had no experience with them.

I have serviced center links. They don't really wear in the socket. The rattle comes from the deteriorated nylon bushing around the taper.

The retaining plug has small welds you can grind with a die grinder. Then a vise or press can nudge them loose to remove the swivel. All mine needed were a couple of nylon sleeves about 3/4" O.D. I found them at a plastic supply house. The rest of the joints checked OK. I pressed the retaining caps back in and gave them a couple of light tacks. No more staggering and chasing tar strip after that.

Give it a try yourself.

Bernie

Oh, it cost less than five bucks.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Bernie,

We're all going to face this problem sooner or later.  Is there anyway that you could do a "how to" that could be posted with pictures and detailed instructions?  For those of you in the car business, what you said makes sense; to some of the rest of us, we're still scratching our heads.  It would benefit everyone here at some point in time.

Ed

Rare Parts re-builds these, Kendall.

rareparts.com

They can, in-fact, wear in the sockets as did mine.  Rare parts did a very nice job with very quick turnaround.  They'll ask you to send them your link first and they will either re-build it or ship you one they already have done (if available).  In my case, I shipped mine and received a replacement in less than a week and a half.

Mention you are an ROA member for the discount.

Mark