Lost Buick keys...locksmith?

krinkov58

Lost the keys to my Buick earlier in the summer...my car's a treadle-start '52 which only needs the keys to lock the ignition, and I haven't driven it much anyhow...has anybody brought their lock cylinder to a locksmith and had them make a key off of it?  My doors are keyed off of the ignition but my trunk is a different key so I'd need to crawl in the trunk and pop it to get that cylinder out as well. Pricing a new ignition lock cylinder, 2 door cylinders, and a glovebox cylinder looks pretty pricey and I have yet to even find a keyed trunk lock for '52 (lock location changed from '50-'51).  

Any locksmith can make you a key with the cylinder as a sample.  In fact if you pull a door cylinder (real easy) it might have the number stamped on it.  When I worked for GM in the 50's and 60's we did it all the time in the parts department. 

You might find removing the cylinder for the glove box is the easiest to get to.  My 56 has one key for all lock locations, so in your case that means you'll still have to get that trunk cylinder out to have it re-keyed

I once bought a Buick that had a different key between the doors and the trunk, and the glove box had no lock at all.  Being a convertible, I didn't like the lack of a locking glove box, so I got a lockable latch from salvage (but no key).  I popped the trunk lock out and took it to a locksmith along with a door key and the new-to-me glove box latch.  In a few minutes my glove box, trunk, and doors all used the same key, and it cost me something like $12. 

• Like 1

I lost the ignition key for my '64 Riviera about 25 years ago. The ignition is unlocked so it hasn't been a problem; gonna have to fix that some day.

Don't lock the house either, What if a friend stopped by and couldn't get in?

A couple of years ago some kids went through my wife and my cars during the night, CD's scattered everywhere and glove boxes emptied. Nothing was missing. I've heard about people feeling violated after something like that. We felt rejected.

Bernie

• Like 4

Good story Bernie!  

I'm going to pull the ignition lock because honestly I have no idea if the door/ignition or trunk key opened the glove box; never tried to lock it.  It's probably keyed the same as the doors/ignition but I wouldn't exactly bet money on it either...the ignition comes out really quick with a paper clip and a turn to the right if I recall correctly. So I guess I have to find a locksmith now within reasonable driving distance.  Thanks for your replies all!

Krinkov58, I have a young guy working for me who makes keys for old Buicks (and other older cars). He has the correct key blanks and a set of 40 or 50 possible keys that GM used in the 1950s and 1960s, and by test fitting each one into your key cylinder, he can find the right one, make a copy, and not have to de-code it or take it apart. If interested, send me an email or a private message and I can put you in touch with him. His name is Dean Stewart and he is a new BCA member.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx

pphillips922@gmail.com

• Like 1

I agree with JohnD.  I rescued a 1951 Buick once without a key.  I took the cylinder from the glove box down to a locksmith and he was able to make a key from the code stamped on it.  It took him about an hour to do it.  In 1951 one key fit everything.