1941 Clipper, Cool Looking, are they somewhat rare?

lincolnmatthews

Now I kind of have the "hots" for a 41 model 1951 Clipper that's for sale. I

like the Darin designed body! with it's sweeping rear deck. A very nice good looking car of the 40's IMHO, & the fact that it's a pre-ware.

Are these fairly rare?, I know that the 160's-180's are more desirable, but for the $$$ (more in my range, at this pt) I would be getting into a Packard!!. I like the fact that it's an 8 which I wanted.

The car's far from perfect, but interior good (other than front carpets), paint's fare to good (it shine's at least) & it runs good.

He wants about 15k for it, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the opinions!

Thanks for the reply West, but NADA shows 18k for avg & 33k high retail. I know you can't put to much faith in these price's, but I don't know if I would say 15k is high retail. I guess my idea of "high retail" would be, what a 95pt car?? which this far from!!

I just don't know how often these models & pre-war yrs come up for sale. I do have the problem of buying the 1st one I see! (impulse buyer) & its cost me money over the yrs!. Anyway thanks again.

There were around 16,600 1941 model 1951 Clippers built.  If you are looking at the two-tone blue Clipper currently for sale in Iowa, I think $15,000 is high for that car.  I agree that the pre-war Clipper is an outstanding looking car but if you are going on looks alone, the post-war versions were essentially identical except for the grill (which I prefer over the pre-war).  I don't think the NADA guides for pre-war Packards are anywhere near accurate as far as current prices are concerned.  If you like the Clipper (1941-1947), I'd wait for a better deal.  But... it's your money.

Edited by JD in KC (see edit history)

Thanks JD,  yes its the one for sale in Iowa. I think your right regarding 15k being to high, I'd feel better at 10-12k, tops & I would have to ship it back to the NW. It does need the crappy looking engine compartment painted, etc & have carpets (I guess they were carpeted) installed in the trunk.

My own personal pref are pre-war cars, just my own hang up??? We'll see what happens on this car. Thanks you guys!

Well, I attended an auction in Sellersville PA on Saturday that featured a 1941 Clipper in running condition.  The high bid was $2,750 on it, but the executrix wouldn't sell it for less than $5,000.  I was willing to go in the middle, and gave her my number.  I later heard that she sold it to the high bidder for somewhere between $4,000 and $5,000.  It was in running condition, meaning it started.  I did not see it drive, nor did anyone else.  Compression is unknown.  Original interior with some condition issues, some body work needed, etc.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2565280&kwd=&zip=18062&category=0

How times change. In 1986 we sold a running and driving '41 Clipper at Dad's estate sale for $700. What a nice quiet running engine. We didn't feel too bad about it since we had only paid $20 for it a few years before. Bought it as a favor from a lady entering a nursing home and drove it 30 miles home.

I'm a total impulse buyer and usually pay 2X what experts tell me I should have.

If you were un-impulsed enough to write into the forum for advice and you are not suffering heart palpitations worrying about some else buying it while you consult there is a better "something" out there for you. And that will surely show up a week or two after you buy the Clipper.

In most parts of the country this is bargain time. Sellers enjoyed their car all season and now want to unload them to avoid storage and the problems related to it.

Since it's a "hots" driven purchase play the field.

Some of the active contributors to the forum sell cars on consignment. Fall would be a good time to contact a couple to find a really motivated seller.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Well I bid to $12500 & still hadn't reached the reserve. I'm an impulse buyer as mentioned but there is a limit (even for me) I've got to pay to get it home. I see its back on Ebay today at the same pricing. I'll watch it but won't bid on it again unless the reserve drops off. Waste of time1

As some of you mentioned that 1941 was the only year for the shorter WB, then in 42 they went to what?? I have seen some post war models but like the looks of the 41 better, (maybe its the shorter WB that makes it look better I don't know)

I don't think the 41's come available everyday for sale! Sometimes you just have to "bend over" & buy what comes up! (I guess that's what an impulse buyer is?????) Thanks again!

Guest bkazmer

the body used is the same from the cowl back, so the appearance difference with a 41 or a 42-47 Senior is a longer hood/front fenders, compared to a 42-47 Junior.

I like the wrap around car whiskers on the Seniors better