Gearbox swap

trini

It would be easier and probably cheaper to master driving with the original transmission.  With practice you can shift up or down with an unsynchyronised transmission using the clutch normally, or double clutching or even without the clutch.  Many trucks and busses were plain gears up into the 60's and  70's.

There are some interesting you tube videos on truck shifting that you could watch.

Seriously, a synchronized transmission would be more comfortable to drive but after 56 years and 400,000 plus miles I enjoy driving my unsynchronized transmission.  However, If I were to start over again knowing what I know now, I just might convert my transmission.

Happy hobbying

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Agreed !

Shifting is a relatively basic technique, and when you are proficient you do not really NEED a clutch or synchronizers   -  just a convenience

Just my opinion, and no disrespect intended, but shiftng even a brass-era car, even without using the clutch is a matter of matching RPM

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Given the cost and scarcity of Moss parts I don't think I would risk a downshift into first while moving at all.  Every time a gear grinds it does some damage, sooner or later terminal damage.  There is a reason full syncro gearbox conversions are very popular for sports cars that get frequent use. I made my living repairing British cars in the late 70's to early 80's.  Did many gearbox rebuilds , most are quite straightforward , except the shocking parts bills. These days many of the parts are either N.L.A. or offshore; questionable quality, sourced.  Toyota or Nissan 5 speeds are a wallet saver in the long run, not so easy on a Morgan however, or was your Moss in a Jag ?

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

The other topic not discussed much about transmissions is the oil that's been put in them. Make sure you have the correct oil for your transmission.

Too thin, and gears keep spinning. Too thick, and gears slow down. All this contributes to Marty's "matching gear speed" equation.

Back in my SCCA days I got really good at replacing the 1st Gear / Reverse idler gear in my '58 TR-3 tranny  --  and I wasn't doing it after every 2nd or 3rd race just for the fun of it !