dual quad ac bracket

riv2x4

Is there a difference between the rear ac bracket for a dual quad script rocker covers vs for a single quad.  Basically are there 2 or 3 or 4 different rear ac brackets?  Recent ebay listings have me confused and to further make it difficult, I can not find any part or stamping number on the bracket. 

Larry

Oh yeah, big difference.  For clearance for the finned aluminum covers the part of the bracket that goes over the finned valve covers had a much taller opening in it.  That may not be the only difference either.  I don't have one to measure but the bolt hole on the 2x4 intake may be in a different location than the bolt hole on the 1x4 intake.  So besides the taller opening, it could have a different configuration for lining up with the bolt holes.  The rear bracket for the compressor on the '66 nailhead has clearance for the finned covers but I don't know it lines up with the bolt holes on the 2x4 manifold.  It could be that it only lines up with the Q-jet 1x4 manifold.  It's too bad that when guys come across the manifold and carbs that they don't come away with the entire Super Wildcat package: carbs, linkage, kick down bracket, distributor, a/c bracket, etc. 

Ed

Let me rephrase the post , I do not need a bracket.  I have one on my 2x4 car and a  what I believe to be a spare. I know there are differences between stock and for the alum covers.  The question to be answered is how many different brackets did Buick make for 64, Obviously the standard one and one for dual quads with the alum covers.  Did they also make a different one for stock intake with alum covers that is different than the one for the dual quads. I'm asking because when installing the one on the car, it was more of a challenge than it should have been.  This led me to think that there may be 2 different alum rocker ac brackets.

There are no identifing marks on the bracket that I have found so far.

Hope this helps.

Let me rephrase the post , I do not need a bracket.  I have one on my 2x4 car and a  what I believe to be a spare. I know there are differences between stock and for the alum covers.  The question to be answered is how many different brackets did Buick make for 64, Obviously the standard one and one for dual quads with the alum covers.  Did they also make a different one for stock intake with alum covers that is different than the one for the dual quads. I'm asking because when installing the one on the car, it was more of a challenge than it should have been.  This led me to think that there may be 2 different alum rocker ac brackets.

There are no identifing marks on the bracket that I have found so far.

Hope this helps.

Yes Larry, there is a bracket for a single carb manifold and another bracket for the dual carb manifold. The bolt hole is in a different location on each manifold.

Tom Mooney

Buick did not produce an engine in '64 that had a single four barrel and came equipped with finned aluminum covers.  So basically there are two brackets: one for the steel valve covers and single four barrel intake and one for the finned aluminum valve covers and the dual four barrel intake.  It would be the intake bolt hole that is different.  Both engines used the same heads, compressor, and front compressor bracket, so the only place they could be different is on the intake manifold.

I also have heard that when Clark's offered their aftermarket bracket, it needed some persuasion to fit.

Ed

Buick did not produce an engine in '64 that had a single four barrel and came equipped with finned aluminum covers.  So basically there are two brackets: one for the steel valve covers and single four barrel intake and one for the finned aluminum valve covers and the dual four barrel intake.  It would be the intake bolt hole that is different.  Both engines used the same heads, compressor, and front compressor bracket, so the only place they could be different is on the intake manifold.

I also have heard that when Clark's offered their aftermarket bracket, it needed some persuasion to fit.

Ed

Ed, The `66 GS cars had a single carb and aluminum valve covers. Yes, intake manifold bolt is different,

Tom

The '66 version for the single carb works fine for both stamped and cast covers for the earlier years. I used to pull these and the also the 425 qjet intakes on boneyard trips as there were many requests. I noted that a number were soon flipped-Dan   Mpls. Mn.

While we are on the subject, I know there were modifications to the aluminum valve cover during the production run but does any one know how many variations were made?  I have seen ones with an indentation on the front of the cover if you were looking at it from the front of the car.  I had a factory dual quad 65 non Gran Sport that did not have this indentation.  Just curious.  Thanks!

I think there were about 4-5 variations of these Winters Industries castings. The Calif versions with early (maybe premature?) emissions, vertical and angled PCV and also a couple of repop efforts since. Tom Mooney has the skinny I'm sure.

I've seen quite a few cars that fellas 'show' that have funny head bolt locations and wrong year Winters covers. Of course, I'm the sort that would stick a Star Wars cleaner on my '66 225 and a Wildcat grill

Here are a couple of picts of my bracket that matches the one on my car.  I've also included links to a couple of ebay auctions with AC brackets.  One listing title says it's for a single carb and notice that the top lip is different than the one in my picture.  There appears to be no lip on the standard bracket for steel covers. Can anyone verify?

One additional thought, could the ebay auction for the single 1x4 with the alum covers be a 66 stock universal fit bracket?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231683542709?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231691300414?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post-76223-0-89812500-1442679418_thumb.j

post-76223-0-53979200-1442679443_thumb.j

Edited by riv2x4 (see edit history)