49 Windsor low voltage, battery slowly dying while driving.

chrysler49

Recently my Windsor has basically stopped charging while driving. Regulator and generator brushes were replaced with new last year, and generator tested fine. Suddenly, the car will just barely start charging when increasing the RPMs, but as the meter just starts to move clockwise to show charging, I hear a faint click under the hood and it won't charge. Ran a jumper from the negative battery terminal to the ARM post on the generator, and get slight movements of the pulley, but nothing constant. With the car running, I can get 6.15 volts at the battery terminal of the voltage regulator, but nothing at the field and armature posts. This sounds like my generator dying out? I've polarized the regulator. Battery does have a bit of overflow puddled on top, so I'm wondering if the generator started overcharging and then died out.

Sounds like the regulator is bad. You can try tapping lightly on the regulator while the car is running to see if that will cause it to charge.

Sometimes the points stick and/or get oxidized from lack of use. What is the voltage at the battery while running the car (rev it a little)?

Also, if the battery has overflow the regulator could have "boiled" the battery by overcharging it. You need to check the battery, too.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, they can be fully rebuilt. there are alternators now that are built to look just like your old generator, fairly expensive but a good choice if you want it and will pay the price. the original gen. and regulator work very well as set up originally.  dennis