1937 Dictator Wheel Seals

drdon

Where can I find wheel seals for 1937 Dictator? SI doesn't find any in their stock.

Having new brakes done and brake shop found two slightly leaking seals. Not critical but if I could do it now it would save issues later. Thanks.

Probably Timken or Chicago Rawhide.  These were outsourced.  If you can't find a number on the seal, mic it's dimensions and find a match.  I did this successfully with my Rockne.  Though, with the number of '37 Dictators out there, someone can no doubt give you a part number.

Jerry Kurtz comes to mind as the expert on all things '37 Dictator.

The front felt washers are p/n 510289.  There is an Ebay ad for a pair of these: item 131177492388.  These appear to be old National Oil Seal p/n 5M100.  I can't find dimensions of these, but here is another place on line that stocks them for $16.95 each:  See Ensign Bearing part # FW100 at http://www.ensignbearing.com/seals/felt_washers.htm

The rear seals used cork washers, p/n 510735 for the outer seal, p/n 510729 for the inner seal.  These days, it would be better to replace the cork washer with a rubber lip seal that fits in the space.  Surely, someone has done this replacement before.

Is there enough demand for these parts to reproduce them?  They fit 1934-37 Dictators plus 1937 Coupe Express trucks.

Use modern seal number C/R 13165 for the rear inner seal.

I stock the original cork seals for the outer seals.

I may still have some complete rear outer seals.

I am old and slow and it will take some time to find these.

The front seals 510289 were available from Olcar  (910) 693-3324

I am not sure if they are still in business.

They were very helpful and are old car people.

Robert Kapteyn

http://www.studebakerstore.com/Studebakerstore.com/Welcome.html

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

I had this same problem with my '36 President, and was unable to find a modern seal with the needed ID/OD. Ultimately, I machined an aluminum "carrier" into which I installed a smaller O/D spring-loaded seal and then pressed this assembly into the drum. Has worked fine. Bill.

post-116325-0-81607000-1439434157_thumb.

• 7 years later...

Hi Guys,

For the wheel seals for a 5a Dictator, I found SI has them in stock.  The parts manual shows an inner felt washer retainer part 510290 and an outer felt washer retainer 510291 for the front wheel seals.  I can see on my drums that there is the outer retainer.  Is there an inner retainer that goes into the drum before putting the felt washer/seal in?  Thanks guys.

Nate

On 8/12/2015 at 1:43 PM, Gary_Ash said:

The front felt washers are p/n 510289.  There is an Ebay ad for a pair of these: item 131177492388.  These appear to be old National Oil Seal p/n 5M100.  I can't find dimensions of these, but here is another place on line that stocks them for $16.95 each:  See Ensign Bearing part # FW100 at http://www.ensignbearing.com/seals/felt_washers.htm

The rear seals used cork washers, p/n 510735 for the outer seal, p/n 510729 for the inner seal.  These days, it would be better to replace the cork washer with a rubber lip seal that fits in the space.  Surely, someone has done this replacement before.

Is there enough demand for these parts to reproduce them?  They fit 1934-37 Dictators plus 1937 Coupe Express trucks.

I used a modern rubber lip seal on mine. Can't recall the PN atthe moment but I have it recorded and will post when I do. I have found that all the seals that I've replace with modern ones have had the closest matches using metric seals.