1955 Speedometer Cable Question

Paul Falabella

This past winter I repainted the dash on my Roadmaster. I forget to lube the speedo cable and the speedo is now noisy(but accurate). I don't feel like taking the dash apart again right now. Can I remove the speedo cable from the transmission and lube it? I don't think access can be gained without removing the dash top.Or just live with noise till this winter?

Thanks

On the smaller cars (54 and 55) you can remove the cable from under the dash.  I did it before on my '54 Special and it was easy.

On my '54 Super, same as Paul's, it was impossible to remove from underneath the dash.  You have to go at it by removing the upper dash - not fun.

On all models, you can remove the inner cable by pulling it out from the transmission side.  Perhaps a replacement inner cable will fix your problem, but I see no good way to get any lube up to the top end.

If the noise is from the speedo, go with Mr. Kriss who runs an ad in the Bugle.  He did a great rebuild job on mine.  You can reach him at 570-376-3952.

Guest MORRISGAUGE

It would be wise to disconnect the cable from the speedometer, in case it is the speedometer head making the noise you have described. If the speedometer is wearing out, further engagement can lead to the magnet shaft seizing and breaking your cable as well as the speedometer's internal gearing. If it is the cable, you can sometimes work some lubricant into the sheath, but it is best to remove the core, clean, inspect and lubricate.