THE OVERDRIVE MOD BEGINS

You can buy a new 6v or 12v light that looked like the original and puts out more light that way it's stock looking and no mods necessary they are very inexpensive.  I chose that way.  32w / 50w power if you got new wiring, it's a winner.  I think I paid about $6.00 each.  

Jim, the amount of light the bulb puts out is about 25% of the reason the headlight BEAMS are whatever they are. The major factor that determines the amount of light that shines in front of the car is the reflector. If the reflector is not doing its job it won't matter how bright the bulb is. It will look bright if you stare at the headlights but it will shine very little light on the road in front of the car. These cars always needed the reflectors cleaned and the owners manual included with each new car points out how to do this. If you look at an ORIGINAL bulb you will notice that the bulb itself has a coating to block light from going forward. The object is to make as much light as possible go to the reflector which will then reflect it a s a BEAM out the headlight lens. Even the headlight lens which has a different one for each side are made to throw a beam a certain way. There is a lot more going on in the headlights than we tend to realize in my opinion.

You're sure right about installing a/c in old rides. In Texas that's not even considered a modification. I really like days one can use the 4-40 cooling system but it only happens a short time in the spring and fall. My 37 is midnight blue (almost black) so the a/c gets used often on sunny days in January.

• Like 1

Yup,  it's the reason I bought this car.  So many were BLACK.  That is a no-no here in Florida.  Of course, my son in law (who is Italian- ??) has a Black truck.   I just bought a second coupe.  A deal I almost could not pass.  Emptied the savings account (mine

) and got a 1037 coupe.  It is painted (original color)  Sudan Blue.  It is a medium blue that say has t tinge if green in it but wants to argue.  It is a restored to like new.  Very nice.  Wife still does not ride in my 38.  Oh well, it's my toy.

• Like 1

Just came back from Lloyd Young's place.  I was doing my long trip PM and changed the oil in the tranny.  Found some fuzz on my magnet that I put in the drain plug.  It was 100 % rebuilt so some breaking will leave some wear in fuzz.  Pretty descent.  I then drained the OD gear box.  The oil was fairly dark.  When I got ready to refill the OD,  I found some bearing cage part with my finger.  Just checking before I refilled.  Stuck my magnet on a stick and found more cage parts.  I pulled the OD and decided to drive it to him.. I called him to discuss the findings.  He said bring it and would fix it.  (1076 miles one way).  When we opened it he found the rear most bearing had failed.  He was amazed as that bearing does not fail in his history.  The second bearing he installs behind has sometimes failed.  Later gearboxes have the second bearing.  Mine had it.  Anyway, he rebuilt the box completely with new input shaft (with the sprocket) and since I brought my drive shaft (with the other sprocket) he replaced ithe sprocket on that also.  All done in about 4 hours with zero cost to me.  He stands by his warrantee.  I'm a believer now.  On my way back home deviating to my club get together in Wilmington Va to see some old friends.  Then 625 more miles and home again to fix my ole girl and get it back on the road. Whew......

How big a box did you have to make to ship yours to Lloyd?  Cost.  My wife was mumbling about my trip and I said I would rather be there and see first hand what had happ4ned.  I took more pix.  Lloyd remembers my multi pix on the first trip.  

• 2 weeks later...

I had Lloyd go over the OD.  Found a bearing failure where he has never had fail.  An original place not the additional out put bearing the factory had.  Lloyd had added a second out put bearing which the factory later also did.  He completely rebuilt the OD box and put new sprockets on the drive shaft and on the input shaft.  Like new and no cost.  He garuntees his units and I'm a firm believer in his word.