Painting faded script on vintage hubcaps

I've wiped Vaseline on the hubcap, being certain to keep it out of the recessed areas, then sprayed paint from a can.  Once the paint dried, I wiped the Vaseline off the hubcap so only the recessed areas held the paint.

With the lettering recessed by stamping it into the steel, it makes it easier.

Carefully paint the depressed area with 1 Shot, then wipe the excess off the edges

of your lettering with your finger inside a thinner soaked piece of an old t-shirt.

Very forgiving and fun project for a rainy day.

Guest Skyking

I spray paint the right color then wipe the edges with lacquer thinner on a cloth held tight to my fingers.

h1Jr3x3.jpg

Guest Skyking

When painting on a new chrome surface do you have to do any prep work to the area being painted to get better adhesion or do you just paint over the chrome?

I clean the area with lacquer thinner first.  Some of my hubcaps have been painted 11 years without any issues.

Thanks all your suggestions, I decided to give Edenmass's suggestion of using nail polish. So I raided my wife's make up cupboard ( when she was at work of course) and found a plethera of choices.

Sure enough there was a "red" that matched the original "Chrysler" script on my 1939 Hubcaps, but I made sure it was the type using acetone clean up for better durability.

I just gave my hubcape a wipe over with general acrylic thinners and away I went, but I was undecided if I should take the car for a run and properly dry them in the breeze out the car window, He He !!

They turned out great with easy acetone cleanup and a sharp "Stanley" box cutter blade to carefully scrape off any mistakes.

I expect they will be quite durable, but I could always re do them every time before I go out again,he He !!

Women, Luv em,

Rich

Edited by trickydicky43richard (see edit history)