how do you get the valve guide out? 37 dodge coupe

Guest 37 dodge coupe

Guest 37 dodge coupe

I have a valve that stuck. Have it all apart but cant figure out how to replace valve guide.

Are you sure you need to? If you have damage, okay. But I've had stuck valves that only needed cleaning. Once I got enough solvent down the stems so that the valves came loose (lightly tapping on top of the valve with a rubber mallet sometimes helps), and then thoroughly cleaned both the stems and guides, checked for scoring and clearance, reassembled, everything has been fine ever since (including a 1700 mile round trip to Detroit last year).

Service manuals, either original or reprints, are available and if you are doing that type of work I would highly recommend getting one. :)

If I recall correctly, you drive the guides down a bit and break off the bottom, repeat until removed. I believe that intake and exhaust guides are the same part but installed one way up for intake and the other way up for exhaust. Also that they are undersized and need to be reamed to size after installation.

But really heed Phil 32DL6's post, just because it became stuck (possibly because of sitting for years) does not mean that it needs replacement if you can free it up.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

To answer your question: I would check the valve clearance first. If you have a new valve it works better. First clean the guide bore with a suitable wire brush. Insert a new valve in the guide and work it up and down and side to side to see if the clearance feels good or if it's loose. Now, install the old valve and check it. If the clearance feels greater with the old valve than the new , you only need to replace the valve. You need special tools to remove and install the guides but there are some ways around that. You can remove a guide by using a length of pipe a little longer than the guide and a long bolt that fits through the bore along with nuts and flatwashers. The pipe needs to have an inside bore larger than the guide so it can come up through. They can be installed in a similar fashion from inside the chamber. Guides should be reamed after installation but I don't know what size you'll need.

Guest 37 dodge coupe

To answer your question: I would check the valve clearance first. If you have a new valve it works better. First clean the guide bore with a suitable wire brush. Insert a new valve in the guide and work it up and down and side to side to see if the clearance feels good or if it's loose. Now, install the old valve and check it. If the clearance feels greater with the old valve than the new , you only need to replace the valve. You need special tools to remove and install the guides but there are some ways around that. You can remove a guide by using a length of pipe a little longer than the guide and a long bolt that fits through the bore along with nuts and flatwashers. The pipe needs to have an inside bore larger than the guide so it can come up through. They can be installed in a similar fashion from inside the chamber. Guides should be reamed after installation but I don't know what size you'll need.

So you are kind or making a puller.with the pipe on the outside and a piece of all thread inside the guide and than pull it up.I have the new valve but it starts to stick when installing in old guide.with the new guide it feels just rite.Maybe I could just buy a reamer that is .002 larger that valve but I have the new guide and figure that's the best way to go.I just don't want to create a bigger problem by forcing on the guide.

Guest 37 dodge coupe

Service manuals, either original or reprints, are available and if you are doing that type of work I would highly recommend getting one. :)

If I recall correctly, you drive the guides down a bit and break off the bottom, repeat until removed. I believe that intake and exhaust guides are the same part but installed one way up for intake and the other way up for exhaust. Also that they are undersized and need to be reamed to size after installation.

But really heed Phil 32DL6's post, just because it became stuck (possibly because of sitting for years) does not mean that it needs replacement if you can free it up.

I have a service manual, but it refers to a tool needed.original valve stem is scored. Had to really work to get it out.

Have you cleaned the old guide well before inserting the new valve? If a new valve is tight in the guide there is probably some raised scoring. Your probably better off at this point to replace the guide. Yes, you will be making a makeshift puller. You don't want to pound on them. As far as cutting the seats after installation, your engine is equipped with hardened valve seat inserts that can only be cut with the proper hi-speed grinding tools. The Motor's Manual makes no mention of having to resurface or change an insert after installing new guides. i don't think the installation of a guide would have any bearing on the seat. I would check the seating of the valve in the seat to insure proper fit with some Prussian Blue. Bad inserts can be easily replaced. The new insert has to be installed and reamed before attempting to resurface the valve seat as the new guide will  be used to align the resurfacing grinder. If you install a new insert with a new valve, I don't think any further finishing is required. I wouldn't try resurfacing a seat unless you have the proper equipment and some experience doing so; some things are best left to the experts.

The valve seats in the Chrysler 6's are a hardened inserts, they are not cut into the block. If you look really carefully , you'll be able to see the telltale ring outline of the insert. To remove one, you must drill 2 small holes partially through the insert ledge opposite one another. Then, with a sharp chisel, you cut through the insert at the holes. This should break the insert into 2 halves for removal. To install a new insert, you freeze the new part in dry ice for a while to obtain maximum shrinkage then drop it into the insert opening making sure the top is flush with the block. I'm sorry, I stated above that the new insert has to be installed and reamed before resurfacing the valve seat. I meant to say that the new guide needs to be installed and reamed before resurfacing the seat as the guide bore acts as an alignment tool.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

I'm trying to figure out why you think it's OK to replace the guide without recutting the seat, but when replacing the seat you recommend resurfacing. I don't consider myself an automotive machinist but have worked in machine shops including my own for about 45 years. When two things that have to be concentric to each other are discussed and one is replaced the other needs to be trued. No one has suggested that the reason his valve is tight COULD be it's bent. If it's rusted the guide should be reamed. Checking clearance as has been suggested with a worn  or bent valve is a bad idea. Pin gauges is the proper way to check clearance.

According to the manuals I'm getting the info from does not state any need to resurface a valve seat after the installation of a new guide unless the seat is bad. i think you've must have misunderstood me. If he needs to resurface the seat due to cavitation or wear, it needs to be done with the proper equipment. It may be easier for him to replace a valve seat insert only if he needs to.The new guide, when inserted properly, should align a valve with the existing seat providing the old seat in in good condition. I did mention about recutting a new insert but if you read the previous post you'll see that I made an error. I did mention that a new guide must be installed before attemping to cut the valve seat. I'm just going by what the Motor's Manual states.