Windshield 26/27 DB

Rogillio

Wieldshield I bad cracked. Was gonna take odd remove glass have sand blasted and powder coated and put in me glass. Screws would not budge. Will let soak in Liq Wrench and see if that helps. If not I wi grind them off.

Any tips on the glass? Can/should I get safety glass? Just take the frame to glass shop?

I would definitely use safety glass.  I had a local glass place do it but I did have to supply them with a template.  I made the template out of 1/4" poster board and the glass place was able to cut the radius part no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the windshield frame back from powder coating.

Next stop at the glass shop. The glass is 1/8". The frame 0.350". Meyers has 4 different sizes of glass seating tape. Best I could figure I need the thickest. 5/64".

Here is my math:

0.350 slot on frame - 0.125" glass = 0.225"

Tape on 2 sides so divide by 2 = 0.112

5/64 = 0.078

Marigin : 0.034" or 34 thousands

Should be snug. Hope it's not too tight. Thoughts?

I had to drill out the old screws that hold the frame together to get. I re tapped the holes out to 10-24 screws.

I was gonna take the frame in to the glass shop today but decided to wait till the tape comes in so they can account for the tape thickness. 0.078 x 2 = 0.156 so glass needs to be at least 0.156 narrower than the frame openings side to side and top to bottom.

post-142600-0-45530600-1436825099_thumb.

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)

1/8" glass sounds a bit thin? I would have thought it was nearer 1/4".

Good catch. My bad. Yes, .250 glass

The frame 0.350". Meyers has 4 different sizes of glass seating tape. Best I could figure I need the thickest. 5/64".

Here is my math:

0.350 slot on frame - 0.25" glass = 0.1"

5/64 = 0.078 x 2 = .156

Yike! Tape is too thick. Darn!

Thanks! Great catch. Better call Meyers...

Yep, 0.1"/2=0.05" or 3.2/64".

Yes, that is what I concluded.

Glass Setting Tape available from Meyers:

1/32in. thick = 0.0312 x 2 = 0.0625

3/64in. thick = 0.0469 x 2 = 0.094

1/16in. thick = 0.0628 x 2 = 0.125

5/64in. thick = 0.078 x 2 = 0.156

I have 0.1" total gap after the glass is installed.  I decided to get the 3/64ths tape.....it's gonna be tight but I guess that is good.  The tape should compress a little bit. 

It probably doesn't matter if 1/4" is used. All I'm stating is what is referenced in the parts book. The glass you're measuring could have been changed in the last 90 years.

Good point!  Based on other  'evidence' this car has crashed before.  The front bumpers are not original...one of the brackets that hold the  front bumper is bent....the road that connects the two headlight holders is missing...and one of the rivets that hold the left fender strut to the fender are broken.  So entirely possible the windshield has been replaced.

I would let the glass shop use there own setting tape. They will know the best fit.

I don't like to bring my own bread to the restaurant.

I was wondering about that!  I haven't taken it in yet as I was gonna wait till I got the tape from Myers. 

When did they start using laminated safety glass, i.e. with plastic sandwiched in the middle? That is plain glass.

I don't know.  I took the frame into a glass shop yesterday and they will be cutting laminated glass for it. 

• 1 month later...

It took 2 months for my local glass company to get the laminated glass but I finally got it back today. They set the glass for me and it looks awesome. Spent the last few hours getting it reinstalled. Only one trip to Lowes to get some different screws because what I had bought did not work. Then spent 20 minutes looking for where I put the support arms. Nice feeling of progress.

The passenger side window was plexiglass so I ripped it out and got 1/4" glass cut and edged. I will work on that tomorrow.

post-142600-0-94911000-1441408537_thumb.

post-142600-0-62477000-1441408589_thumb.

Edited by Rogillio (see edit history)