Texas Barn Find Collection crosses the block

nick8086

Five cars, stored in a building behind their house, for "40 years" (since 1975), does not constitute a "barn find" to me.  It's just a bunch of cars stashed away and neglected.

Always interesting to see these collections come up for sale, of course, but sure wish the world would give the term barn find a rest............

• Like 3

The bald guy used Alex Trembek's body language and gestures, if you have seen him hustling graveside insurance to senior citizens on TV. And the light, pensive background music came through in a little over-obvious mood modifier. P. T. Barnum would have smiled.

Starting a car in a couple of hours after years of sitting is about the scariest thing I can think of. It gives me chills. I can remember three of us taking turns hand cranking a Phantom II to establish oil pressure after winter storage. Don't they know how dry some parts of the engine are? And when they were originally parked and walked away from, was the oil freshly changed or did it adhere to the bearings for a few years with mild sulfuric acid to etch a few thousandths off the babbit surfaces?

To me that kind of stuff is more like seeing race horses with long curved hooves.

Well, it is inspiring. I'm going out to start and drive everything except the one with no engine and walk around the garage with my detail sprayer and polishing cloth. Then I'll have some fun. There's only one way to get them dusty!

Bernie

post-89785-0-23010100-1434810804_thumb.j

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Five cars, stored in a building behind their house, for "40 years" (since 1975), does not constitute a "barn find" to me. It's just a bunch of cars stashed away and neglected.

Always interesting to see these collections come up for sale, of course, but sure wish the world would give the term barn find a rest............

I couldn't agree with you more ! Just an attempt to attract larger sale dollars ! I am starting to detest the terminology as it has lost its true meaning. Some people however are still attracted to the title. Wayne Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Heck I used to crank without fire until the oil pressure came up every time I changed the oil.

Gives me shudders every time I see someone blast off on old tires.

OTOH I suppose if it runs long enough to flip, why should they care.