Parting Out 1931 Cadillac 355A Town Sedan

If this is the one that was on eBay, it's pretty far gone. Complete is one thing, but it's pretty badly deteriorated and a '31 Cadillac sedan, even a town sedan which is what the one on eBay was, doesn't make any kind of financial sense to restore.

That said, I'd be interested in the torque tube and maybe the rear pumpkin if they come apart as a unit...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Out of curiosity, why would you want to part out a car like this being 98% complete instead of selling the whole car to someone that would restore it? Is it because the sum of the parts is greater than the whole?

That's exactly it. I own a restored 31 Cadillac 5 passenger sedan. This parts car is worth way more parted out, and makes no financial sense at all to restore. I KNOW how hard it is to locate spares for these cars. You do not just pick up a catalog. The positive way to look at this is that many fellow Cadillac lovers will be able to complete their project or have some spares.

If this is the one that was on eBay, it's pretty far gone. Complete is one thing, but it's pretty badly deteriorated and a '31 Cadillac sedan, even a town sedan which is what the one on eBay was, doesn't make any kind of financial sense to restore.

That said, I'd be interested in the torque tube and maybe the rear pumpkin if they come apart as a unit...

Hi Matt. That's the car. Solid sheet metal and very complete, but the wood is gone. I have a complete rear end, torque tube, and inner shaft that I obtained with a previous parts cache. I already separated the torque tube and inner shaft from the pumpkin, as I was going to use those parts with a gear vendors overdrive. Contact me via email and we'll work something out.

Sue looks like a parts car to me. I parted out an identical car back in the 80's. As with most cars, 10 percent will sell in a week, another 20 percent over the next 12 months, and about half will just sit and take up space for years. On the plus side other cars will find their needed items and the circle continues. I still have a huge pile of 31 Caddy parts that I have never sold.........I think it's time I get around to passing them off to other collectors. Enjoyed seeing this post. Ed.

This car would be a good candidate for rebody in my opinion. Like a previous reply, after the cherry's are gone ,there is always the remains that take up a lot of space and little calling. There are  a lot of clever body men in the hobby that could make a open car out of this car, not intending to mislead anyone with what they have when done  , and have a lot of fun with it. Just my opinion. Wind in your face is fun with a real or reinvented car ! Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

My best guess is going to Cadillac will be turned into a hot rod as there are no more body components. At least all the mechanicals will go to guys who need parts or spares. My experiences it's always harder to get rid of the body parts. Enjoy the post.