1931 Series 90 Tie Rod Ends

midman

One of the items I need to fix on my 31 is the tie rod ends. According to the shop manual they are not rebuildable and I cannot find a supplier. Has anyone run into this? Any known source or substitute?

The original numbers are 1233718 and 1233719.

Thanks for any ideas.

Chuck

I assume you have tried Bob's Automobilia, but it seems like I recall the same problem when I was working on a friend's 1932 90-series some years ago. At that time, Mac Blair (who is a good authority on Buicks of the early 1930s) told me that Dodge pickup truck front suspension parts for the 1940s Dodge trucks, are a workable substitute.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Chuck,

You might try taking your old one to NAPA and talk to the oldest guy in the store, to see if he can just "match" it to something in stock.

OR you can PM OCM here, as he has a pair of "33's and sandy may be able to steer you in the right direction.

I got my 4 new ends from NAPA some time ago, but they were for a '40 series 90.

Mike in Colorado

Maybe try Rare Parts? They rebuilt the pitman arm and tie rod ends for my Auburn. Their work looks fine but car isn't on the road so I can't say it won't all fall apart with the first bump!

Their online catalog lists tie rod ends for a 1931 Series 50 as per attached link ( if it works!)

http://shop.rareparts.com/smtp/shopdisplaycategories.asp?iyear=1931&imake=0006|BUICK&imodel=5303|SERIES%2050&iproduct=0049|STEERING,%20GEAR,%20PUMP%20&%20COMPONENTS

Not cheap but then that won't be a concern if safety is an issue....right?????!

Brad