1955 Century Mod

• 4 weeks later...

The biggest problem I have seen is that there is no way to get pipes to the back of the car without cutting the frame. Next problem is avoiding the under seat brake booster.

For a visual, it will dump about the same location as the right side manifold.  It has been done, but if it were easy we would all have duals :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest johnjackson

I would talk to an exhaust shop and see if they can possibly take the same bends off the y pipe and create your true duel and see if they can run it a long side your existing exhaust and out the rear on both sides. Or get a single in dual out muffler and go that route maybe. If there is a will there is a way.

• 3 weeks later...

You will most likely need to relocate the master cylinder to do a full dual exhaust.

I did a single high flow exhaust on betty and I'm quite pleased with the results

My suggestion would be to split it in the back if you really desire the dual exhaust look.

Otherwise, you are going to do alot of work for no real gain, other than the look.

I'm doing a 56 convertible now. You can see that the master cylinder gets lifted to the cowl, then suddenly dual exhaust is simple. If you have the 56 parts they probably would go in fairly easy but its still a big project. The 56 also uses a rag joint on the steering column so you get alot more room to work with. I may just post some photos comparing the 56 to the 54. The 56 also has a better hood hinge setup, always fun to look at the year to year evolution of these cars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2015 at 9:32 AM, g-g-g0 said:

I would talk to Waldron's Exhaust. They advertise '53 to '55 dual exhaust conversions. I am not familiar with '56's but bet they will know what is required. My dealings with them have been positive.

Gary

R

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Greg, thanks for the info! I guess I'll be searching for a 59-60 Buick to grab the filter housing from. The original filter housing doesn't have a drain back valve like the modern filters do, so I'm sure you'll have immediate oil pressure on start-up with that new filter vs. retaining the old canister style.

Saw this on Ebay and thought it would be interesting, but I would hate to go untighten the filter and the adapter comes with it.

On 5/2/2017 at 9:48 AM, Beemon said:

Greg, thanks for the info! I guess I'll be searching for a 59-60 Buick to grab the filter housing from. The original filter housing doesn't have a drain back valve like the modern filters do, so I'm sure you'll have immediate oil pressure on start-up with that new filter vs. retaining the old canister style.

Saw this on Ebay and thought it would be interesting, but I would hate to go untighten the filter and the adapter comes with it.

A

26 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I can't get the link to go where I think it should go, but the Calyx is great stuff.  Especially when it's necessary for a touch-up.

I'll be checking that stuff out. Thanks for the heads up!

• 3 weeks later...

There are some spin-on filters which have an internal anti-drainback valve in them as others the same size do not.  Might need to get in the back of the filter book, in the "Specs" section to find this information.  Or others that might fit.

NTX5467