Knight Engines Forum

pughs

Hi Everyone,

This is a new forum to discuss and exchange information about Knight sleeve-valve engines and the cars that had them.

Here is a list of some of the cars that used sleeve-valve engines:

Please bring your comments and technical information to this forum.

Steve Pugh

Edited by pughs (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see the new forum page dedicated to the Knight engine.

I've been fascinated with the Knight engine for many years. I've been looking for and someday will have a Willys-Knight or Falcon-Knight car.

The other car of my dreams is a Chandler or Cleveland. But that's a topic for a different time.

Thanks to all who are responsible for the new look to the forum and the new site for Knight engines.

thanks

Bill

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)

Bill,

Thank you for your comments. There have been several Willys-Knights and at least one Falcon-Knight on eBay recently. I hope you find one. I don't know why this forum is not in alphabetical order, but will try to find out.

Steve

• 2 months later...

You forgot the Russell-Knight!  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?53886-Orphan-of-the-Day-08-22-1913-Russell-Knight

Russell Motor Cars had the exclusive right to the Knight engine in Canada.  This prevented others using the Knight engine, including Willys-Knight from entering the Canadian market.  John North Willys bought Russell Motor Company in 1916 so he could gain a foothold in Canada.

Craig

8E45E,

Thank you for letting us know about additional Knight engined cars. There are probably a bunch more that I missed when I wrote the opening thread. Everyone should feel free to add to the list of cars using the Knight engine.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I have my Dad's 1928 Falcon-Knight Model 12 Sedan. He bought it in Nov 1962, when stationed at Charleston Air Force Station, Maine and used it as his daily driver for a while there (I mean, how many other cars had about a foot of snow clearance back in the early 60's, with true posi-traction?). He paid $100 for it, buying it from an old guy that made wooden shakes for roof/walls of houses. I think he said the guy had it a few years, and it had been parked a while when my Dad bought it. I have a photo of it as he bought it. He painted it in 1963, and the paint is still looking great, despite 61 years. I learned to drive on it in 1973 when I was 10, when he was back briefly from Vietnam (Retired USAF in 1976, with 152 combat missions in 'Nam). I forget how many miles are on it now, but it's not many--he has always kept it indoors when not driving it or showing it at meets. I am in process of relocating it to my house in Missouri, from his place in Georgia (He died July 13, 2023 at age 86). I will throw a couple photos of the car on here soon, and later will update on here details of my plans for the car. In 2028, I plan to recreate Cannonball Erwin Baker's 1928 run across the US in this car. While ours/mine is a 1928 Model 12 4 door sedan, Baker used a 1928 Model 12 Coupe. And the dirt roads he ran are now paved, with many of them interstate. I have a lot of research to do to try to find Baker's route, and as much as possible, take that route. My Dad made the newspaper in 1972 in the car when he hit 60 MPH on the runway at his B-52 SAC base. I was there with him that day. The furthest distance my Dad said he drove the Falcon at one time was from Maine to his birthplace in Pennsylvania, ~ 760 miles.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dr. Greg said:

I have my Dad's 1928 Falcon-Knight Model 12 Sedan. He bought it in Nov 1962, when stationed at Charleston Air Force Station, Maine and used it as his daily driver for a while there (I mean, how many other cars had about a foot of snow clearance back in the early 60's, with true posi-traction?). He paid $100 for it, buying it from an old guy that made wooden shakes for roof/walls of houses. I think he said the guy had it a few years, and it had been parked a while when my Dad bought it. I have a photo of it as he bought it. He painted it in 1963, and the paint is still looking great, despite 61 years. I learned to drive on it in 1973 when I was 10, when he was back briefly from Vietnam (Retired USAF in 1976, with 152 combat missions in 'Nam). I forget how many miles are on it now, but it's not many--he has always kept it indoors when not driving it or showing it at meets. I am in process of relocating it to my house in Missouri, from his place in Georgia (He died July 13, 2023 at age 86). I will throw a couple photos of the car on here soon, and later will update on here details of my plans for the car. In 2028, I plan to recreate Cannonball Erwin Baker's 1928 run across the US in this car. While ours/mine is a 1928 Model 12 4 door sedan, Baker used a 1928 Model 12 Coupe. And the dirt roads he ran are now paved, with many of them interstate. I have a lot of research to do to try to find Baker's route, and as much as possible, take that route. My Dad made the newspaper in 1972 in the car when he hit 60 MPH on the runway at his B-52 SAC base. I was there with him that day. The furthest distance my Dad said he drove the Falcon at one time was from Maine to his birthplace in Pennsylvania, ~ 760 miles.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned!  Be sure to post every detail here.  You might be inspired by the recent story in the Buick Bugle about the gentleman in his mid 70s to early 80s who drove his late 20s Buick roadster from the Great Lakes area to Seattle for the national meet.  He did this alone with no support after his wife declined to accompany him.  Not only was it an amazing trip but he did a great job of writing the article and taking pictures.  If I have the exact details wrong I apologize; either way his trip was inspirational to say the least!

Kent

• Like 1