65 Radio trim Q....

Guest onedesertdog

Guest onedesertdog

Hi everyone,

All this talk lately of door panels and wood trim has got me raring to go. Well not raring, cause we're supposed to hit 100 this week-end.........

Anyway, my 65 was parked in a barn since the 80's stripped down. In the trunk was a radio which I assumed? was for the car. After I installed it I noticed a large gap around it to the trim. It also had some wood trim for a face plate instead of the black vinyl. The round corners of the trim were perfectly cut.

After looking for the door and console wood kits I couldn't find one for the radio except on 63-64 I believe.

So, does this radio look incorrect for the car because I don't see how vinyl could be in front with that big gap around it. Hope the pic comes out.

Thanks for any replies as always,

Buddy

post-70701-143143094147_thumb.jpg

Guest The Angry Pilgrim

The trimplate around the knobs and radio face/dial was black plastic. The gap in yours exists because the radio is not original. You still have the proper vinyl around the chrome bezel surrounding the entire radio. Let me know if you need a new set of walnut veneer for the console.

Hi everyone,

All this talk lately of door panels and wood trim has got me raring to go. Well not raring, cause we're supposed to hit 100 this week-end.........

Anyway, my 65 was parked in a barn since the 80's stripped down. In the trunk was a radio which I assumed? was for the car. After I installed it I noticed a large gap around it to the trim. It also had some wood trim for a face plate instead of the black vinyl. The round corners of the trim were perfectly cut.

After looking for the door and console wood kits I couldn't find one for the radio except on 63-64 I believe.

So, does this radio look incorrect for the car because I don't see how vinyl could be in front with that big gap around it. Hope the pic comes out.

Thanks for any replies as always,

Buddy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]307053[/ATTACH]

The radio, although Buick, is from a later year. The wood veneer around the radio was for 1964 only. The 65's had black vinyl. The knobs, however, are correct for a 65. Hope this helps.

Pat

Guest onedesertdog

Thanks for the replies guys. Since the radio works, and the car is only a driver I'll just try to figure something else out.

I'm sure I'd probably have to sell a kidney to find the proper radio....lol

You guys are always on top of things.

Buddy

Bob, ( Angry Pilgrim) I sent you a message...

Put in an AM radio that's appropriate then put a Redirad from Brew City Engineering in line in the antenna lead and play your MP3 player or Satellite radio through it.

You won't get stereo but it will look cool.

What are the dimensions of the opening for the radio?

Guest onedesertdog
Put in an AM radio that's appropriate then put a Redirad from Brew City Engineering in line in the antenna lead and play your MP3 player or Satellite radio through it.

You won't get stereo but it will look cool.

What are the dimensions of the opening for the radio?

Ed, the opening is 4.5 in. w. x 2.5 in. h.

I really don't listen to music much because of tinnitus and hearing problems. I think I can fashion a plate properly cut and then either put the vinyl on it and leave the radio as is. Or after talking with Bob, The Angry Pilgrim, he makes the console wood trim (and maybe soon the door trim) maybe he can make me a plate for the radio. Just thinking out loud.....

I appreciate the replies,

Buddy

Ed, the opening is 4.5 in. w. x 2.5 in. h.

I really don't listen to music much because of tinnitus and hearing problems. I think I can fashion a plate properly cut and then either put the vinyl on it and leave the radio as is. Or after talking with Bob, The Angry Pilgrim, he makes the console wood trim (and maybe soon the door trim) maybe he can make me a plate for the radio. Just thinking out loud.....

I appreciate the replies,

Buddy

Buddy,

I have plenty of these plates, send me a PM,

Tom

No. The applique is different. On all '63's and on standard '64's it was black vinyl (one grain style.) In '64 on the custom interior it was wood. In '65, it was a different black.. there's also a difference between a/c and non a/c cars. But, the actual metal piece itself is the same - at least in my experience.

Ed

Guest onedesertdog
Buddy,

I have plenty of these plates, send me a PM,

Tom

Thanks for the offer Tom.

What would be the correct opening size of the 65 template?

Buddy

I've been trying to figure out what to do with the audio on my 66 too. Mine doesn't fit quite 100% perfect either. Thinking about the RediRad

https://rediscoveradio.com/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=e0e355ecf80a9d169c976a49b85e852d

Or possibly seeing if I can move the lighter in the ashtray and dropping one of these bad boys in.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PZU977C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1BQNC4JONEHM0&coliid=I3U7XUR1LSU7BN&psc=1