1936 e brake on a C7 Chrysler

Is the e brake on a 1936 Chrysler C7 Airstream attached to the trans? Just had a customer call me for a trans and claims that his e brake is on the rear axle. The e brake handle comes through the floor next to the shifter. Car was in storage for 55 years, when I suggested that someone installed a later rear axle. That would put the car in storage sometime in 1960. Axle brake was not used until the mid 60s. Any thoughts and diagrams of this set up if that was used? I have looked in all the books and the Hollander book. None showing an axle e brake in the 30s Will a trans from a 38 Chrysler 8 mount behind the 36 Chrysler 6? I know the bell housings will not interchange between the 6 and 8 engine block.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

I think the OD cars had it on the rear axle and the regular 3spd cars had it on the tranny. Thus if you convert a regular car to OD you need to also get the rear wheel brake hardware or the whole axle would be better so the gear ratio is matched to the tranny. I think some Newer (1937 or newer) OD cars came with a brake on the tranny. The 36 in my books seem to have it on the axle though. Mine being a non OD car had it on the tranny.

Dave would you prefer me to delete that post.

Why Tom?

This is how people with the unknown get educated. Look at the 20 + plus years being into Mopar and they still learn something new. You be surprised how many people said that I didn't know what I was talking about with e brake not rear axle installed until the 60s. WALA!

Why Tom?

This is how people with the unknown get educated. Look at the 20 + plus years being into Mopar and they still learn something new. You be surprised how many people said that I didn't know what I was talking about with e brake not rear axle installed until the 60s. WALA!

Hi

i own two 1936 Chrysler C6 airstreams

Only the Chrysler and desoto had the hand brake on the rear wheels IF THEY HAD AN OVERDRIVE the Chrylser also had a different speedo same face as the airflow but gold in colour.

The 1936 Chrysler C6 & C7 if they had overdrive had rear wheel brakes, this was a heavy overdrive which was called the first type - one peice

the 1937 and later had a two piece type over drive which had the hand brake on the back of the gear box, my understanding is that all later overdrives had the hand brake on the gearbox, and that only the 1936 with the heavier overdrive had the hand brake on the rear wheels.

They also had special rear wheel cylinders as they are mounted upside down - to miss the hand brake linkage.

i hope this helps

Ray

From New Zealand

Hi

i own two 1936 Chrysler C6 airstreams

Only the Chrysler and desoto had the hand brake on the rear wheels IF THEY HAD AN OVERDRIVE the Chrylser also had a different speedo same face as the airflow but gold in colour.

The 1936 Chrysler C6 & C7 if they had overdrive had rear wheel brakes, this was a heavy overdrive which was called the first type - one peice

the 1937 and later had a two piece type over drive which had the hand brake on the back of the gear box, my understanding is that all later overdrives had the hand brake on the gearbox, and that only the 1936 with the heavier overdrive had the hand brake on the rear wheels.

They also had special rear wheel cylinders as they are mounted upside down - to miss the hand brake linkage.

i hope this helps

Ray

From New Zealand

Good info!!

OD not avail for the Dodge and Ply in the U.S. in the 30s. I saw an article that OD were installed on the Dodge and PLY for export. Any proof of this?