Speedometer stopped working.

Guest crtnrds

Guest crtnrds

Got my '90 convert back having had a new heater core installed and the speedometer is now not working. My manuals' index lists speedometer diagnosis in 7A-14 but there is no mention of the speedometer on that page. Any ideas?

Ok so so sounds like the vehicle speed data isn't getting to the BCM which then sends it along to the IPC. Could be as simple as a wiring issue caused by work done in the dash (heater core). I would follow the troubleshooting tree in the FSM since you have it on hand. I take it all the other gauges are working so the BCM is forming a data stream to send to the cluster it just doesn't include the VSS data. Could be a circuit not making at either the ECM or BCM or the sensor itself which is located on the transmission.

You can enter diagnostics and check ECM data to see if the vehicle speed signal is making it that far. If so, the issue is after the ECM. Can also check BCM data to verify VSS data is absent there. If so, check the wiring between the two modules.

KDirk

Guest crtnrds

You are correct in your assumption that the other gauges are working properly. This is a '90 so it does not have the diagnostic CRT to check the ECM and BCM data. I can't crawl under the dash any more which is why I took it to a shop to replace the heater core in the first place. Guess I'll have to take it back to him (a friend). He must have not reconnected something properly when he replaced the heater core.

Edited by crtnrds (see edit history)

Guest crtnrds

I looked at the FSM but electronics is not my forte. I can't tell what wire is what...seems like a brown wire has something to do with the speedometer??? HELP. KDirk, anybody.

Guest crtnrds

The cruise control does not work, although I couldn't swear that it did before, but there in no indicator that says "cruise control problem". Sorry I am not more help but when you have 3 Reattas and are almost 70 years old. I can't remember what doesn't work on which car.

You are correct in your assumption that the other gauges are working properly. This is a '90 so it does not have the diagnostic CRT to check the ECM and BCM data...

The diagnostic capability is there on the '90, but it uses the instrument cluster instead. To enter it, turn the key on without starting the engine. Then simultaneously press and hold the 'OFF' and '^' on the HVAC controls. After a few seconds, the IPC will black out, then reappear with all segments lit, then display error codes in the area where the odometer readout normally resides. You can then follow the prompts as mentioned in the service manual to look at various data values.

From Ronnies site: http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/57-diagnostic-information/diagnostic-instructions/82-how-to-access-ecm-bcm-a-crt-codes#2-how-to-access-the-codes-for-90-91-models

• 2 weeks later...