1990 Reatta Part Need - Gear Shift Cable

BBHSTT

Hello from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands to all my Buick Reatta Forum friends,

Owning my Reatta on an island is great when it's running well, but it is truly a hassle when it's not feeling well and needs a part! We were preparing to leave island for about 1-1/2 months on vacation and had driven the car to our storage unit. Upon arrival, the engine stopped and I couldn't put it into any gear. The only way to stop it from rolling, was to put on the hand brake. In panic, I called my sole mechanic on-island who tried to describe what part in the engine we needed to find and check in order to get the car in gear and started again. He diagnosed the problem correctly as a disconnected GEAR SHIFT CABLE. [i think this is the same part that was recalled a number of years ago on the Reattas]. Once the cable was temporarily connected, the car started.

The mechanic has tried unsuccessfully to find a replacement gear shift cable and connection bolt. Can someone help me find this part so I can safely get back on the road?

As usual, thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

Beverly "Island Girl"

I did a quick advanced search but couldn't find it. If memory serves me it was a retired guy that owned a Reatta, pick up truck and his wife had a car. He was having a series of issues with his Reatta and his wife thought that he should get rid of his Reatta. This was one of the last repairs he did before he sold his car. I think he was from Indiana.

A bunch of posters offered suggestions and a way of repairing it was developed. I know Padgett commented and I believe so did 63viking.

I'll try again...

Beverly "Island Girl",

Dave already brought this up but I'll make it easier for you. See Post #10 in this thread

Print out the post making sure the picture is attached then take it to your Mechanic.

I did this over 9 years ago and it's still there. Using a stainless steel screw and washers there is key. Not absolutely necessary but, in your climate, I highly suggest using stainless.

John F.