BLOWER MOTORS 1955

Ove

Suppliers for mid 50's chevys will have generic ($40) and original appearing ($110). Used ones are out there. Or you can disassemble yours to clean, lubricate and burnish the commutator. I have done dozens of these and there were only 2 that I could not fix: one was crusted solid with rust; the other had a gap in the commutator that required a tap to get it going if it stopped at that location.

Willie

Suppliers for mid 50's chevys will have generic ($40) and original appearing ($110). Used ones are out there. Or you can disassemble yours to clean, lubricate and burnish the commutator. I have done dozens of these and there were only 2 that I could not fix: one was crusted solid with rust; the other had a gap in the commutator that required a tap to get it going if it stopped at that location.

Willie

is it the same motor as in trifive chevys?

is it the same motor as in trifive chevys?

Visually they look the same and others have used them with good results. I have not --- I restore my old ones. One pitfall that I can think of is that the rotation my be different, but most should be standard. If you order from a chevy supplier don't tell them it is for a Buick...it will become unreturnable.

There are 2 blower motors on a 55 and only one is visible unless you have factory a/c, then you should restore those, since they are bigger than standard and they rotate clockwise for one and counterclockwise for the other.

ok,thanks! its the one under the seat thats have some kind of shortcut and blows the fuse

Did you try disconnecting the motor to see if it still blows fuses? mite not be the motor but rather wiring shorted to ground. Might also be an internal motor short that is easy to correct. Sometimes things ain't what they seem..............Bob

• 2 years later...

Sometimes they stick like that. Sand/Scotchbrite the exposed shaft. Apply penetrating oil and then apply gentle constant pressure, like a small arbor press or such. Careful, the shaft, especially the threaded part, bends easily! Maybe a two jaw puller might fit.

Taping with a soft faced hammer may work, but it runs a chance of bending the shaft.

• Thanks 1

The bearing is spherical bronze oil-ite. It's held in place by a spring steel retainer spot welded to the case. If it won't tap loose and you've decided to junk the motor try this.

Drill a 1/8" hole in the spherical dimple  in the cap end. Drill well into the bronze bearing. Insert a 1/8" pin in the hole and bearing. This will keep the bearing from turning and allow you work the shaft back and forth. Since the co-efficient of expansion is much higher for bronze than it is for steel and the bearing is larger than the shaft I would also heat the cap in the area of the dimple to expand the bearing. 

I'm thinking that with patience , some heat and penetrating type lube you can get the shaft free................Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2017 at 9:22 AM, Bhigdog said:

The bearing is spherical bronze oil-ite. It's held in place by a spring steel retainer spot welded to the case. If it won't tap loose and you've decided to junk the motor try this.

Drill a 1/8" hole in the spherical dimple  in the cap end. Drill well into the bronze bearing. Insert a 1/8" pin in the hole and bearing. This will keep the bearing from turning and allow you work the shaft back and forth. Since the co-efficient of expansion is much higher for bronze than it is for steel and the bearing is larger than the shaft I would also heat the cap in the area of the dimple to expand the bearing. 

I'm thinking that with patience , some heat and penetrating type lube you can get the shaft free................Bob

This worked... the motor still doesnt.  It appears that the brushes and the copper contact on the rotor are just done.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

When these motors lay around long enough to get the shafts seized up just freeing the shaft usually isn't enough to get them working. Commutators corrode over, brushes stick, springs lose tension, etc etc. If the windings aren't toasted they often can be massaged back into service. Way too early to give it up if the windings aren't burned..............Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

When these motors lay around long enough to get the shafts seized up just freeing the shaft usually isn't enough to get them working. Commutators corrode over, brushes stick, springs lose tension, etc etc. If the windings aren't toasted they often can be massaged back into service. Way too early to give it up if the windings aren't burned..............Bob

Well Bob,  I see why you are the grand high exalted mystic ruler....  I got it unsiezed using your trick, but it wouldn't go.  I had cleaned the brushes, contacts, etc....  I had given up.

20171119_095348.thumb.jpg.328f36a2b2f11ceae1715b2b56476d66.jpg20171119_095143.thumb.jpg.ba97d17c1e42fca231bccbfcffb87cb8.jpg

But last night I got to thinking, "it didn't even spark when I touched it to a battery....  I have missed something".  SO I pulled it back out of the scrap pile today... and saw what it was!  I was so focused on bushings and brushes, I totally missed this:

20171119_102921.thumb.jpg.ddd5dde225cb75b37b5107b9fa90da10.jpg

When I first opened the motor up, this wire was stuffed between the coil and the case and I didn't even think about checking it.  Last night after thinking about why I couldn't even get it to grunt or spark, I thought to check this and sure enough it was not connected.  A quick spot weld fixed that.  Now look.....

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:
1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

last night I got to thinking, "it didn't even spark when I touched it to a battery....  I have missed something

Good intuitive thinking, Matt. 

I'm pleased I was able to help.

Even your rooster sounds like he's "crowing" about your success........................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 4 years later...