Ductile Iron Foundries

Bill Boudway

Bill, I'm getting flashbacks to changing the roof on the old electric arc furnace between pours about 45 years ago. I had to keep shifting from one foot to another like those desert lizards. I remember the night they dropped 3,000 pounds of molten steel, too.

I wouldn't mind doing a start up on a batch of scrap blocks one more time.

Bernie

Looking for a foundry to cast a pair of parts, about 2 lbs. each in ductile iron

I have sample parts for patterns.

Hi, Bill.

Received you e-mail and I am doing fine. Thank you. Hope all is well with you, too.

Pondered your query and I lean towards cahartley's suggestion to start with Tomahawk. Checked Tomahawk's website and the first thing I had in mind was to check their experience with ductile. Ductile is spheroidal (a.k.a. nodular) graphite iron and requires good, even displacement. To assure the chemistry metallurgical procedures prior to pouring the mold are critical. Know this from some disasterous misrepresentations for ductile of which offshore and "3 domestic" foundries attempted to pass off as ductile when under the microscope the castings were in reality a poor grade of cast iron (graphitic flakes).

Just mentioning this as I do not know if the 2 castings you are in need of are under any stresses in their working atmosphere. Also the grade of ductile comes into play depending on the application.

In short, could you post a photo of the parts? Not sure if these are the same parts our good friend Pat Thorpe (ex98thdrill) asked me about a few months ago.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi, Bill.

Received you e-mail and I am doing fine. Thank you. Hope all is well with you, too.

Pondered your query and I lean towards cahartley's suggestion to start with Tomahawk. Checked Tomahawk's website and the first thing I had in mind was to check their experience with ductile. Ductile is spheroidal (a.k.a. nodular) graphite iron and requires good, even displacement. To assure the chemistry metallurgical procedures prior to pouring the mold are critical. Know this from some disasterous misrepresentations for ductile of which offshore and "3 domestic" foundries attempted to pass off as ductile when under the microscope the castings were in reality a poor grade of cast iron (graphitic flakes).

Just mentioning this as I do not know if the 2 castings you are in need of are under any stresses in their working atmosphere. Also the grade of ductile comes into play depending on the application.

In short, could you post a photo of the parts? Not sure if these are the same parts our good friend Pat Thorpe (ex98thdrill) asked me about a few months ago.

Regards,

Peter.

post-30916-143143052755_thumb.jpg

Hi Folks,

Here are the parts.

Weigh about two pounds each.

Thanks.

Ductile iron is, pretty much, heat treated cast iron.

The heat treating process makes it malleable, more resilient and improves machining properties.

I recommend Tomahawk Foundry with the greatest confidence.

They have been doing castings for OLD tractor restorers from all over creation, including us, because they are that good........ :)

Bill,

Sending the photo to a friend who has a foundry in R.I. that could possibly help. With the Easter Observance I will phone him Monday morning.

These are obviously mirror image (a left casting and right casting). The photo does not show it however the "arm" feature appears to be offset (not flat). If he can do it I believe a follow block would have to be created in order to support the samples being used as working patterns in order to create the near net shape parting line accurately.

Will send you a PM Monday.

Peter J.