Mystery measuring tools found?? What are these?

bodayguy

Kent-Moore made dozens (possibly hundreds) of different sets of these carburetor adjusting tools. Each set like the one pictured by the OP would have the necessary adjusting tools for one carburetor.

Prior to the K-M individual tool chains, the carburetor manufacturers (Carter, Holley, Rochester, Stromberg, Zenith, etc.) produced carburetor tool kits, which contained the common tools for working on all of their common carburetors. Both Master kits (covering everything) and dealer kits (covering a single brand) were available.

Jon.

• 1 month later...
Guest geoffrey h teetor
OK, experts, I found these in some spare parts left for my new 64 Riv. What the heck? I thought maybe it was for measuring spark plug gap, but that's not it, I don't think.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]299810[/ATTACH]

That tool set is for overhauling and tuning the Rochester Quadrajet Carburretor, circa 1960s=early 1970s. The flat bar gauges are for setting float levels, accelerator pump rod stroke and butterfly valve position. The small rods are for the cleaning of and confirming bore size of various jets. Wanna sell 'em ?

That tool set is for overhauling and tuning the Rochester Quadrajet Carburretor, circa 1960s=early 1970s. The flat bar gauges are for setting float levels, accelerator pump rod stroke and butterfly valve position. The small rods are for the cleaning of and confirming bore size of various jets. Wanna sell 'em ?

Ixnay on the adrajetQuay. Not a quadrajet but a 4GC (square bolt four barrel with choke - hence the "C" after the 4G) that was found on the 401's and 425's from the 63 - 65 era (for Rivieras, maybe sooner for other 401's) The Quadrajet is a spread bore referred to as an MVC, MVE, or other similar names that first appeared in '66 on the Riviera then became standard on the 430 and later 455 big blocks starting in 1967. The tool pictured even goes so far as to say what year and what cubic inch. This would not be proper for a '64 Riviera, except for perhaps exports. All 64 Rivieras came equipped with a 425. Other displacements had different carb numbers because of jet sizes or metering rod sizes and probably had different float level settings to go along with the other differences.

The 2GC was Rochester's two barrel w/ choke. On the early Oldsmobiles that had the 3 x 2 set ups, the center carb was designated as a 2GC and each of the outer two were designated as a 2G - no choke.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest geoffrey h teetor

I stand corrected. My experience with domestics is limited. I am a retired Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini mechanic. I have a friend with a 67 Riveria, of which I am in the final stages of restoring. I have found accurate information about these cars difficult to come by. Wish I had met you two years ago. Thanx for the education ; "Just when you think you know it all..."

There are quite a number of very knowledgeable folks on this forum who have tons of info on 2nd generation ('67 - '70) Rivieras. Ask and you shall receive. Your friend's '67 should have a 430 cubic inch big block backed by a TH400 transmission (Buick called it an ST400.) last year for the switch pitch torque converter.

Ed

Guest geoffrey h teetor

You are exactly right. It took me two days to ID the engine, a week to ID the tranny. Like I said, where were you two years ago? I am beginning to suspect that I may have struck gold when I found this site. Anything I can do to assist you with a Ferrari ?

Guest geoffrey h teetor

Here in Fort Lauderdale the exotics are everywhere. We have more millionares per square mile than anywhere in the nation. It is common here to return a Lamborghini to its owner and have him show you the boat he just paid 1.8 million for, happens all the time, I'm not kidding. It has always amazed me that a guy smart enough to make that kind of money would go out and buy an automobile that while pretty, yes, is notoriously unreliable. I can't complain, I have made a good living fixing them, and if nothing else, they need a lot of fixing.

Then I got introduced to this 67 Riviera," what a machine", simple, straight forward, surprisingly powerful. I never knew that much iron could move like that. I am truly impressed. I want to get to know these things better, and it would appear, there are a few Riviera owners around here that would like me to get to know theirs also.

Geoff,

Check out the Riviera Owners Assn. There's a link to their website in my signature line. The bi-monthly magazine, lots of cars, Q&A, classifieds, and more. The website has lots of info about all models of Rivieras '63 - '99. Something for everyone.

Ed