Parents have 2011 La Crosse they will not drive.

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

My parents bought a 2011 La Crosse and it just sits in the garage because they hate the headrests. I looked for a way to turn them around take them out or move them back but see no way to change this. I know this is a safety issue but does anyone know of a way to fix this. Even my Kia Soul has headrests that move ahead during an accident and lock so you don't have to be uncomfortable. I hate to see this nice car sit. Mom wants to sell it but dad has Alzheimer's and won't hear of it

Ok, what you do is, (RAISE THE HEADREST, LAY A RAG ON THE TOP OF THE SEAT, TAKE A SCISSORS JACK AND PUT IT ON THE RAG, AND UNDER THE BOTTOM OF THE HEADREST, TURN THE SCISSORS JACK UP, AND THE COMPLETE HEADREST WILL COME OUT.)

Go to YOUTUBE and type in, HOW TO REMOVE HEADREST FROM BUICK, and watch the video.

Very simple, WON'T HURT THE HEADREST, OR SEAT, and you can put back in at any time later you wish.

Needless to say this has been an issue that can be SOLVED.

Dale in Indy

P.S. I believe there is a catch of sorts down in the seat, YOU can probably give it a very FIRM upward JERK and get them to come out, JUST DON'T SMACK YOURSELF IN THE FACE. You can probably turn them around if that would help.....

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Guest tommyduncan

2012 Jeeps are the same way. There is a company that will bend them slightly back and return them. I can't find their info but maybe someone does this for Buicks as well?

Is the issue their size (and related blocking of views to the right hand side of the car) or something else? Front seats or the back seats?

IF its their "blocking views", in some cases, the passenger front headrest can be raised so you're looking through the supports rather than past the padded portion. Almost all GM vehicles have similar issues. On the 2014 Silverado I have for work, I did that (raised the headrest). On SUV-style vehicles, I'll usually remove the headrests for the second and rear seat just to have vision out the back. Or I'll just fold the the second and rear seats down and have a really nice, unobstructed view in the rear view mirror.

In some of the later Impalas, the "bumps" on the rear seat back were very obstructive. If I'd had one of those cars, it would have gone to the trim shop for "lowering" of those bumps, more to what they were in 2000-2005.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...

Another example of the law of unintended consequences. The safety gurus never stop to consider the effect their pet projects have on the ultimate user.

I see it daily in my work. Safety guy said we had to have self-latching swing gates at the top of any fixed ladder that exited onto a fixed platform. In the real world, you end up teetering on the top rung while you're fumbling with the latch. These things have tight springs so they'll self-latch, and once they're unlatched you have to push hard and then hope it don't come back and pop you in the codpiece while you and your tools are trying to go thru it. But we had to have them. Parts and installation to the tune of about half a million. Someone made some money.

As a general rule, there is some sort of "push-in latch" on each, or one, of the bezels the supports of the headrest slide through. They might be a little incognito, but they're usually there. For example, on the rear seat of a 2014 Silverado 4-dr, there's one on the inner side of each support's bezel. Kind of a pain to get them both "clicked" at the same time, but if you pull up and get one side free of the retainer mechanism, then pull up on the other side (it'll only move a little bit), push the latch on it, and then pull up. Should pop up in your hand. It IS a two-handed situation to get it to work. It's the same latches which allow the height adjustment of the headrest to move to different heights and stay there.

NTX5467

Guest my3buicks

I've even seen them where the post goes in the seat is one ring is solid and the ring on the opposite side looks like it's cracked but you squeeze that ring together and it releases them.