Series 124 Instrument cluster

Guest dbnz

I recently purchased a 1927 series 124 instrument cluster. I brought it primarily for the 10 lb oil gauge with the arrow pointing upwards, that particular gauge being unique to the series 124 as the Fast four (128 series) has gauges pointing downwards.

The script on the oil gauge is not in the DB script whereas the amp gauge I have is so I presume I may still not have the correct face.

I am interested to know if the green face is original (it appears to be) and to what type of vehicle it would be original too?. I had another similar glass faced cluster with a dark wood grained face, that came out of a sedan. I have seen a touring car cluster that had the oval shape pressed into the dash but instruments have individual glass faces. As far as I know the 124 sports roadster (that I have) should have the tear drop (triangular) shaped glass faced dash like the 126 series dash.

Thanks in advance for any assistance clarifying the cluster differences.

post-44765-143142926106_thumb.jpg

Dbnz, To be honest I am not sure.On my 2249 Senior there is no DB script on any of the gauges My Speedo has the same face as yours and the oil gauge is the same too except the Seniors is a higher pounds gauge Is the Amp meter the correct one? I Hope some of the 4 cylinder experts can put you on the right track

Thanks, there must have been many changes in the 27 period, probably not helped with domestic and export models either, although the green would be domestic.

I recently purchased a 1927 series 124 instrument cluster. I brought it primarily for the 10 lb oil gauge with the arrow pointing upwards, that particular gauge being unique to the series 124 as the Fast four (128 series) has gauges pointing downwards.

The script on the oil gauge is not in the DB script whereas the amp gauge I have is so I presume I may still not have the correct face.

I am interested to know if the green face is original (it appears to be) and to what type of vehicle it would be original too?. I had another similar glass faced cluster with a dark wood grained face, that came out of a sedan. I have seen a touring car cluster that had the oval shape pressed into the dash but instruments have individual glass faces. As far as I know the 124 sports roadster (that I have) should have the tear drop (triangular) shaped glass faced dash like the 126 series dash.

Thanks in advance for any assistance clarifying the cluster differences.

Looks like my cluster in my 29 DB 3/4 ton series "E". I believe it is nickel plated.

post-71470-143142929168_thumb.jpg

Stakeside, That appears the same to the "fast four" cars, ie. without one piece glass face and gauges pointing down.

Thanks for posting

A 1927 124 Sport Roadster should have the triangle 1 piece glass covered gauge set. The plainer models had the dash like hwellens shows. I have also seen them with the oval glass covered panels like a 1928 128 model but don't know about how correct that is. Here are some pics. At least 1 is from NZ. Yours? Not sure that one from NZ with the yellow fenders is a 124 or if it is a little earlier but the instruments are the same shape. I have a 124 Sport Roadster w/ rumble seat and a "regular" 124 Roadster with a trunk.

Dave

post-31905-143142929545_thumb.jpg

post-31905-143142929552_thumb.jpg

post-31905-143142929554_thumb.jpg

post-31905-143142929561_thumb.jpg

Edited by dwollam (see edit history)

Hi Dave, Thanks for posting those.

The car on the right is Derek Finlays, I got a drive in in two weeks ago when visiting him. His had a Fast four engine, bullet headlights as the 126, he has the triangular cluster but fast four gauges pointing downwards.

The second from the right shows the dodge script oil gauge which tells me they were available although the triangular cluster second from the left appears to have the gauge without the dodge script, maybe anything went/ goes.

Thanks again

Philip

Hi Phillip! Remember me? Met you at Gil Lindens in Yakima a few years ago. Sent you my rumble step plate and you guys made new ones and top irons also. I think maybe you sent me Derek's roadster pic. My Sport will have the 124 nickel plated drum headlights which are styled like the earlier regular drum lights but a bit smaller. I have a set of the bullet lights too off of a 27 Deluxe Sedan which also had bullet cowl lights and sport dash. Last I saw you, you were building a 27 roadster. Still the same car?

Hi Dave,

Sure I remember you, yes the same car. I think I sent you the picture of the dash on the right too. (looking close up it had a 4lb oil gauge! which does not make sense with with the ignition etc).

I found a 124 sedan picture on line, the cluster looks the same as the one I have. On the crop the amps appears to have the DB script and oil not! Another difference is some speedos go up in 5mph and others 10 mph just to complicate things further!

Kind regards Philip

post-44765-143142931668_thumb.jpg

post-44765-143142931669_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...