57 wire wheels

aziz

Very common in the 1957 speedo. I have had mine rebuilt, and still have the issue. They are not very accurate when they are performing in that manner, for sure! As for the generator not charging, follow the chassis service manual to test out the circuit. I found that it was the voltage regulator that was the issue in 95% of the cases. The only time it was the generator was when I saw the thing sparking and smoking under the hood with the engine running - bearing went out on the rear of it.

Very common in the 1957 speedo. I have had mine rebuilt, and still have the issue.

Jim, who did the rebuild? I know that Alan Kriss in PA does these. I haven't had a speedo rebuilt, but he did 2 of my Wonderbar radios and a damn fine job, so I imagine he'd do the same on a speedo. I talked to him about them and he is very knowledgeable about them and how they work.

Lance, I'll have to go back and check..I know it wasn't Alan Kriss, it was someone local to the Detroit area. Whoever it was, it worked fine for about a year, then started with the wild bouncing back and forth. Accurate to about 30 MPH, then goes way off - like to 60 / 70 when you are going 40-45 mph.

Guest my3buicks
And Jackie Gleason's 76C has Kelsey Hayes wire wheels

Also a Unity spotlight

Is it a Unity or a Guide / Trailmaster? Buick did have accessory spotlights for most years up through 1967.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

I had the Speedo issue with my 57's as well, the green Century had sat Unmoved for years and the problem became much better the more I drove the car. But as stated above, that is a very common problem for those speedometers

Very common in the 1957 speedo. I have had mine rebuilt, and still have the issue. They are not very accurate when they are performing in that manner, for sure! As for the generator not charging, follow the chassis service manual to test out the circuit. I found that it was the voltage regulator that was the issue in 95% of the cases. The only time it was the generator was when I saw the thing sparking and smoking under the hood with the engine running - bearing went out on the rear of it.

That was the problem Jim!!!! it was smok'in under the hood and the the regulator finally cut out and it stop but so had the generator :mad: I have just spent the night in the shed at a balmy 110 deg to install a alternator for the next week or two while the generator is out being rewound and a new voltage regulator arrives from the USA ....Has anyone used those alternators that look like a generator or should I just stick to the old generator ??

I was going to attempt to have a look at the speedo as well but the thought of a cold beer was toooooooo much to ignore ,but I will get to it in the next couple off days to just see if the cable needs a lube and is in good condition..

I'm thinking a bit like MY3Buicks that the more I drive her the better some things do get as I think just sitting around can cause some problems as well, but I will still check / lube cable and see how she goes .....

Matt

That was the problem Jim!!!! it was smok'in under the hood and the the regulator finally cut out and it stop but so had the generator :mad: I have just spent the night in the shed at a balmy 110 deg to install a alternator for the next week or two while the generator is out being rewound and a new voltage regulator arrives from the USA ....Has anyone used those alternators that look like a generator or should I just stick to the old generator ??

I was going to attempt to have a look at the speedo as well but the thought of a cold beer was toooooooo much to ignore ,but I will get to it in the next couple off days to just see if the cable needs a lube and is in good condition..

I'm thinking a bit like MY3Buicks that the more I drive her the better some things do get as I think just sitting around can cause some problems as well, but I will still check / lube cable and see how she goes .....

Matt

Installing an alternator will disable the accelerator starting feature. Unless you rewire the starting system.

That's a good reason to have the generator rebuilt.

In the 44 years we've had our car, I'm on the third generator/voltage regulator. I've found that when one goes, the other should also be replaced.

(voltage regulator and generator should bothbe replaced at the failure of either one)

Has anyone used those alternators that look like a generator ??

I have not.

But, I have looked into it.

Powermaster has come up with scheme that will let the Buick keep it's Accelerator start feature.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/powergen.html

to keep the accelerator start feature, they came up with this scheme,

Note the relay required is a 6 (six) volt

that is not a misprint 6 (six) volt is correct

WiringSchematicStarterRelay.jpg

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)

Matt,

I've rebuilt 2 generators..they are pretty easy to do. Most of the parts are still available for a rebuild as well. The hardest part for me was the removal of the pulley from the front housing. Once that is free, the rest of the rebuild is pretty simple. Here are some photos of the rebuild:

post-65800-143142923199_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143142923204_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143142923209_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143142923215_thumb.jpg

post-65800-14314292322_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143142923225_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143142923233_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143142923237_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143142923242_thumb.jpg

post-65800-143142923246_thumb.jpg

Wow Jim whats your postal address ???? You will be receiving a package shortly with my generator in it ..LMAO

Most of the Auto Elec people I have spoken to have told me to put in a alternator because of our extreme heat !!! if I have to use the alternator as a permanent fixture we will use a power-master alternator just to keep the correct look .. I will still have the generator rewound as it looks pretty cactus inside and keep it on the self to stay with the paper speakers that I removed before our lovely sun turns them into toast ..

James thanks for the electrical diagram I have given it to the Auto elec guy and he was really happy to see it ....

matt

Matt,

I'd keep the original stuff for simplicity's sake….

I drive my Roadie in high heat (90-100F) to car shows/cruises each summer. If the regulator/gen/battery are all

tip top….no issues in 26 years.

Observation:

I do have an after market stereo (250 watts) hidden in a plastic box (no Buick originality was harmed in this

superficial installation!) & it will indeed pull down the charging rate, but still charges IF NO lights are on.

With stereo blasting, lights on, in "Drive", at idle …. she's discharging a bit … at cruising speed, she's about dead center.

But, honestly, I'd rather listen to the old SonoMatic and watch the glow of the dial……..!!

my 2 cents

mike

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c5ad9e5c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Hi. Matt,

Your battery will suffer more quickly than your generator due to heat. Here in Austin, where we get 100 degree weather frequently, I have switched all of my daily drivers to Optima (or dry cell) batteries.

I have a powermaster in my wagon, and with aftermarket air, stereo, lights etc., I honestly don't see that much of a difference, except like Mike in Il. said, when idling. My Special with factory air does fine with stock generator. You can rebuild two generators and buy two regulators for the cost of one Powermaster, if that matters.

57's are notorious for holding heat in the engine compartment, even when new.

This was going to be my next question and you beat me to it My3Buicks as I could not believe just how hot it was when I raised the hood !!!!!!

So I double checked my gauges and the oil pressure was in between N - H and the temperature gauge was between C-N so it had me wondering why the engine bay was so hot !!!!

Thanks for the heat and load advice on the generator as its seems to be a we don't like mentality over here with auto elec guys and as I'm NOT one your comments make me feel a bit more confident in the old generator system.

I agree with the power master cost though as they are around $600 - $700 bucks here and as people say that they are the best in the business !!!!

Matt

Installing an alternator will disable the accelerator starting feature. Unless you rewire the starting system.

That's a good reason to have the generator rebuilt.

In the 44 years we've had our car, I'm on the third generator/voltage regulator. I've found that when one goes, the other should also be replaced.

(voltage regulator and generator should bothbe replaced at the failure of either one)

I have not.

But, I have looked into it.

Powermaster has come up with scheme that will let the Buick keep it's Accelerator start feature.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/powergen.html

to keep the accelerator start feature, they came up with this scheme,

Note the relay required is a 6 (six) volt

that is not a misprint 6 (six) volt is correct

WiringSchematicStarterRelay.jpg

Thanks again James for the wiring diagram and I have used it as per the drawing and it works fantastic !!!!!

The only change we made to it was to use a 12volt relay as the substitute alternator had a 12 volt field wire and NO original wiring was harmed in this temporary system.

Matt

Edited by aziz (see edit history)

• 2 years later...