1949 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible *SOLD*

*SOLD*

Wow! I don't know how else to describe this brilliant Cadillac convertible. With more than $90,000 in receipts on the restoration of a 41,000 original mile California car, it's really, really nice. Refinished in its original Fiesta Ivory with red leather combination (although it originally had a black top instead of the tan it currently wears), this is a one-car parade. As most of you know, 1949 was a pretty big year for GM and for Cadillac in particular and this might be the pinnacle of 1940s design. The first tail fins appeared the year before and when combined with the all-new OHV V8, these cars are very special. That's all original sheetmetal on the car with almost no bodywork required. A few dings were straightened and the gaps were tidied up, but the car needed no wholesale patches or panel replacement and in fact the body didn't even have to come off the frame it was so clean. The most notable feature is the unusual continental kit, which has been on the car since it drove off the dealer's lot in 1949. I've never seen another and while it isn't exactly factory-issue, it fits better than most of the kits of the period and certainly makes this ragtop stand out. My camera had a tough time capturing the color accurately, so it's a shade or two brighter in person, but there's no denying that this car has a TON of eyeball appeal. Heck, there's $30,000 worth of chrome on the car, all done by Jon Wright's Custom Chrome and you probably know how good they are. It's really impressive.

Red leather is how this car came from the factory and that's what's in it today. The hides are incredibly soft and supple, probably more-so than originally but they look and feel so good that nobody's going to complain. New door panels, fresh carpets, and rebuilt gauges are part of the package and all the knobs and handles are freshly chromed or new plastic castings. The steering wheel is also brand new and looks just right, not too white and not too yellow. Everything works in the car: power windows, power top, power seat, gauges, clock, and radio to name the biggies. The front carpet in front of the driver is a little wrinkled and the heel pad has a few scuffs, but otherwise it's in almost new condition. The top folds properly and fits well and all the bows were also chromed before the new canvas went on. The trunk is just OK and the seller informs me that the storage facility where he keeps it also detailed it last summer and misplaced the trunk mat/carpet so that's missing but a replacement should be easy enough to procure. That's really the biggest demerit on the whole car.

The game-changing 331 cubic inch OHV V8 runs so smoothly and quietly that I have to look at the oil pressure gauge to make sure it's running. Seriously, you can stand next to the grille and barely hear the woosh of the fan, let alone combustion sounds. It's powerful and smooth, yet familiar feeling to anyone who has driven a '40s Cadillac. Everything is as the factory intended, from the fuel system to the exhaust manifolds to the new wiring throughout. You'll note that it has very, very few miles on it as even the engine enamel hasn't burned off the exhaust port area yet. The Hydra-Matic automatic transmission was rebuilt, the rear end with highway-friendly 3.36 gears was rebuilt, the brakes were rebuilt, the suspension was rebuilt, the exhaust is new, and, well, you get the picture. The only visible deviation from stock are the shiny chrome wire wheels from a '53 and they wear 15-inch Coker Classic whitewall radials.

This is a very impressive car that embodies the best of Cadillac styling and the best of Cadillac engineering. It's the car that started a hrosepower race and created the tailfin craze that would last a decade. If ever there was a milestone car, this is probably it. The fact that it's also a joy to drive is simply icing on the cake. It's not perfect, but it's really darned nice. We're asking $84,900 and we're always open to reasonable offers. Thanks for looking!

post-31138-14314287332_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873326_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14314287333_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873335_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873342_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873349_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873354_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873358_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873363_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873368_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873373_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873378_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873383_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873387_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142873393_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood
SOLD (see edit history)

Matt,

That is a very special car and appears to be in exceptional condition. It almost looks too clean to get out and cruise, but would surely be the right choice to drive Route 66 from Chicago heading west with the top down, wind in what is left of my hair - scenic stops along the way - maybe the WigWam Motel and the Standin' on the Corner in Winslow, Arizona - on my way to dip my toes in the Pacific - then home to New Orleans where we can keep the top down almost forever ---

Oh wait, --- I don't have any more garage space ---

Surely someone else will quickly wind up with this Dream Wagon, beautiful, and fairly priced......

Almost perfect is correct. It has the wrong fuel pump and few other minor items under the hood that could be easily and inexpensively corrected. The trunk is missing the trunk cards and mat. That on the other hand might not be that easy to fix. I'm not aware of any reproductions but the fabric for the mat it is available. I don't know where you could find any material for the cards. Everything would probably need to be custom made if any patterns could be located. I was lucky I had the original mat and cards in my 51 though the fabric was shot.

Very nice overall.

The Dual-Diaphragm fuel pump uses the second diaphragm to enhance vacuum. This helps to ensure better windshield wiper action - especially when accelerating, passing, and hill-climbing. I'm not certain, but this may have been an option, and absolutely is an improvement if you are going to drive and tour. One could easily use the Caddy as-is after completing the trunk. Most likely Hill Jenkins or Harbor Restorations (among others) would be a decent starting point for the materials, or even the complete package.

The Dual-Diaphragm fuel pump was not available in 1949 as I recall. It was available later on as a replacement part. My 51 also had one but I replaced it with an original single diaphragm version as it was originally equipped. I didn't notice any difference in W/S operation going back to the single diaphragm. It could have been that the old dual diaphragm pump or even the W/S actuator might have been worn out.

I think I may have bought my trunk fabric from SMS fabrics at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Of the 200 or so cars that I've sold since getting into the business, I would guess that I have sold about five cars as a direct result of an ad here on the forum, but there may be more (not many more, though). I don't use this as a primary advertising medium, but I always list appropriate cars here first to give my AACA friends the first opportunity to purchase any car I list. This particular Cadillac did not sell as a result of this ad, I am certain of that.

If you're asking whether this is a good place to list a car for sale, I'd have to say that the price is right (it's free). It is probably not a smart idea to make this the ONLY place you list a car for sale, however.

Does that help?

Sorry, Curt, I didn't see your question here until just now. I'd have to say that it's hard to beat eBay for pure eyeballs, but I rarely sell cars there (two, to date, out of dozens). Lots of lowball offers, lots of tire-kickers, lots of photo collectors, but unless you're selling a car under $20,000 or so, buyers are pretty picky. And I absolutely dread the eBay "experts" that have no intention of buying but just want to tell me how much more about my car they know than I do. However, a great many cars have sold as a result of bidding in the eBay auction and I open discussions with the top few bidders once it ends. If they're not even close, I don't bother, but if they're within, say, 25% of the final price, I'll drop them a line and see if we can reach out and make a deal.

Hemmings is probably the #1 place for genuine inquiries and sales. I list my entire inventory on Hemmings.com, but I also place 3 or 4 print ads each month as there are still a lot of guys who A) don't internet, and B) read the entire magazine cover-to-cover each month. Finding the right cars is the key--hot rods and late-model cars on Hemmings.com and in Hemmings magazine just sit there and die, but legitimate AACA-eligible cars always pop with Hemmings users.

Finally, I have access to a tool that most regular sellers don't: an E-mail blast. Over the years, I have collected thousands of E-mails of people interested in cars, and every 2-3 weeks, I send out an E-mail with the latest offerings, some sneak previews of upcoming cars, and some cars with reduced prices. Of the thousands of E-mails that go out each time, about 20 users will unsubscribe each time and I get about a 40% open rate, which is impressive as hell. I sell a great many cars right away when people see the E-mail blast, and I consider it my most effective marketing tool because it's direct. But I understand that it's not something that the private seller would have access to (however, it is a part of how I am able to justify my commission on selling a car--it plain works).

All that said, I'm still always excited to list a car here simply for the discussion. I like making this the first place I debut a new arrival and on those occasions where a listing on this board has sold a car, it has been very quick to sell, suggesting that there are people looking here all the time, even if they're not necessarily buyers. I know I read Buy/Sell every single day, and would do so even if I wasn't in the business.

Hope this helps!