Power Steering fluid for my 1955 Olds Holiday 98

Guest motojen

Guest motojen

Hey there! I was doing some research on power steering fluids for my 1955 Olds Holiday 98. It seems there are quite a few options. I have a small leak right now and will be looking into that asap but need to add fluid now. I've heard of Red Line, Royal Purple, GM, Valvoline with stop leak, etc. Is there anyone out there with a 1955 Olds that could give me a straight reliable answer? :) I'd like to be able to add to what is already in there (which unfortunately I'm not sure what it is) I'm also needing to get some brake fluid. I was thinking the Delco Supreme 11 or the GM #11 (she has Dot3 now)..... I know this probably seems like a no brainer but try asking these questions at an AutoZone or something... As soon I say 1955 the deer in the headlights look happens..... :(

Thanks!

Jen

Don't know about the Olds but the 55 Buick used the same fluid as the Dynaflow, Type A. I now use Dexron/Mercon.

I use dexron/mercon in my 54 Chrysler powersteering. I use dot 4 brake fluid, no particular brand. does the steering system have a filter? should be changed if it does. I always empty the reservoir and add new fluid in it at every oil change. can't help wtih the leak, but usually the high pressure hose is a good place to start. capt den

Dexron/Mercon for the steering.

If you have DOT3 brake fluid, DOT 3 or DOT 4 is OK

But NOT DOT 5 . it's not compatible.

early Chrysler power steer systems have a filter in the reservoir. I just ordered a new one from napa. I also use any modern power steer fluid, usually prestone that is cheaper at the dollar store. power steering is great to have on these big 50's cruisers. captden

early Chrysler power steer systems have a filter in the reservoir. I just ordered a new one from napa. I also use any modern power steer fluid, usually prestone that is cheaper at the dollar store. power steering is great to have on these big 50's cruisers. captden

most, if not all cars then that had the early eaton power steering pump, had a filter inside the resevior, when i couldn't find a new filter for my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina's power steering, i bought two chrysler filters and stack them, worked very well. this was of course back in 1973.

charles coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

My 1954 Cadillac uses the same system as your Olds.

The system originally called for Type-"A" transmission fluid. This was replaced by a sequence of upgrades, now using Dexron/Mercon or any of its Roman Numeral subsequent iterations