value restored 1937 Chevrolet 4dr sedan

Guest xbe

I am thinking about purchasing a 37 chev 4 dr sedan that needs a lot of work. I would like to get some idea of what the value would be after a frame up restoration. Any ideas of the value range when the car is complete?

Thanks

You'd never get your money back. Cost of new chrome and upholstery, just those two things, would exceed value of finished car.

Buy and restore it only if you love it and want the challenge , but not as an investment.

There are cars out there that you can restore and break even or better, but they're high end cars and not this one.

Usually around half of the cost of restoration. Depending on the quality and the detail of authentically using exact "like new" materials (nuts, bolts, screws, upholstery, colors, etc.) when you're done, it could be worth as much as $25,000.

That said, owning a collector car is a hobby, and is generally cheaper than golfing.

That said, owning a collector car is a hobby, and is generally cheaper than golfing.

Very true unless you a hustler!

Back to the car, you could buy a real nice four door sedan for between $9 and $13K. West is being a little more generous then I. To get a car to that range will cost every bit $20-25k. and that is doing most of the work yourself

Guest bkazmer

you would loose money on a 37 chevy sedan restoration. The chrome and wool comment is sppot on. A nice (not perfect) one is a 10 - 12 K$ car.

thanks for the reply. I have restored several Model A and AA fords but no GM products. Thought I would feel out the market.

Money aside, a couple considerations IMO, having had a '39 Chevy (pretty close to a '37) & a Model A.

Lots of advancement in driveability in those 10 years, I always liked the way my Chevy handled, steered, etc. - more speed than an "A", easier to shift in traffic, great around town cars, not too big to manouver easilly like some longer wheelbase cars of the late 30s. Chevy parts, while not supported by quite as many vendors as with the Model A, are not expensive and pretty much everything is available.

You cannot keep them all but the '39 Chevy is one I wish I kept.

you would loose money on a 37 chevy sedan restoration. The chrome and wool comment is sppot on. A nice (not perfect) one is a 10 - 12 K$ car.

That's with doing most of the work yourself. Figure just the interior is going to be near of not more then 4K, and engine has poured bearings a few dollars there. If its running is one thing if not..........$$$$$$$$$$

Remember, in general four door cars are the least desirable and generally cost as much or more to restore. You would be far better off picking another body style for resale.

As mentioned, you are better off buying a done car if choosing a 4 dr.

A roadster or phaeton wont take any longer to restore and worth at least triple when done.