Sepia photos

Rogillio

What photo shop programs are you all using ? Also, what type of camera does everyone use ?

I ask because I'm curious about the different options that we may be seeing. I've had my camera for years but am still learning how to use certain things...

I use an older Canon S3IS and would also like to see if any of you have found a user friendly wide angle lens for your cameras. I really want to get into panoramic shots with the old school effect (sepia or black and white).

Keiser,

does your program have that same grayscale ability to make a video ?

Taylor,

Very nice, looks really authentic !

I use a Canon Power Shot A520....kinda old. 4.0 Mega Pixels. I use Nero PhotoSnap Essentials. I am just getting used to altering photos, so I have no idea as to whether or not it will alter videos. So far, I think Phil's effect looks the most like an old photo, but I like the Taylormade shot a LOT.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

What photo shop programs are you all using ? Also, what type of camera does everyone use ?
My everyday camera is a Canon EOS Rebel T2i which is now about 4 years old. Last time I looked current versions of that one ran about $500 to $850 for just the body depending on options. A decent zoom lens like Canon's EF-S 18-135mm will set you back another $550. The camera takes both 17MP stills and HD video and would completely satisfy most non-professionals. (My pro system is a Canon 5D III with a $10K lens system.)

Adobe Photoshop Elements ($70) will give you plenty of bells & whistles to play around with to alter images in interesting ways.

I use the same camera as Phil with the 18-200mm zoom. These cameras are good for the point and shoot guys, but they also have the pro features if you want to get a bit more ambitious. As with everything, good photos take a combination of skill, talent and practice. Both Phil and I have made our living at it for many years, so composition and lighting are kind of second nature to us. Once you've taken your shots, getting them off the card and into a workable program (Phil's suggestion of Photoshop Essentials is a good one) is the next step - then the fun begins!

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

Phil.....my husband politely asks you not to show me your professional system!! LOL I took a photography class with a local professional photographer and we used Photoshop Elements. I took my daughter's senior photos & used the Photoshop Elements to do touch ups. It's fairly easy to use & you don't have to buy the newest version! I bought my version on ebay. You can also go onto Adobe's website and you can pay a monthly fee to use either Photoshop Elements or the full Photoshop if you don't want to spend the money to buy the program!

Does anyone have recommendations for which wide angle lens would be best suited for my Canon S3IS ?

I was thinking about something like this but I don't know if it's exactly what I'm looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Panoramic-Fisheye-Powershot-Digital-Cameras/dp/B002GJHBOG

I know I need a photo shop program to "stitch" things together if I want to do the super wide shots, but is the .42x HD Super Wide Angle Panoramic Macro Fisheye the max for stitching or do I need something with a wider ability to start with ? I really want the maximum width I can get without spending thousands.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

You're talking about two different effects so here's a little background, then you can decide which way you'd like to go.

The lens you've linked to is a super wide-angle lens...often called a fisheye lens. It's used to take pictures (like those shown) with a 180 degree field of view...IN ALL DIRECTIONS. Those are specialty lenses that create dramatic, unusual perspectives and work for some subjects...but not all. When viewed from a normal distance the images they take make the world seem highly (and unnaturally) distorted. They are usually not cropped and so appear round.

A panorama on the other hand, is usually thought of as a "widescreen" image: longer side to side in proportion to its height. There are several ways to achieve that effect. One way is to back away from the subject until you have the entire width of the subject you want in the shot. Then, crop off all of the extra height you don't want. The result will be a panoramic view. Another way is to use a wide-angle lens (but not a fisheye) to get the entire width framed, then crop off the height as above. What the wide-angle lens does is allow you to stay closer to the subject, so you don't have to back off. Many photographers carry around different length lenses so they can frame their shots without needing to moving closer or further away. Another way to do the same thing is to use one zoom lens...which comes with a continuous range of lens lengths built in.

There's one more way to create a panoramic view. You can take a series of shots from one vantage point, starting at one side of the subject you want, and then swing around taking additional sections of the subject until you reach the other side of the subject. Then, import the sectional views into a program like Photoshop and use its capability to "stitch" them all together into one panoramic image. To do this correctly you MUST overlap the individual sections and for best results, you should use a tripod with a swiveling head. With practice, and good lighting (to allow a higher shutter speed) it's quite possible to hold the camera very steady and swivel at the hips to take the sectional shots.

For all of you who are members of the Dodge Brothers Club and receive the DBC News, the latest issue coming in the mail has a bunch of panoramas from this year's Centennial Meet that were created by the last method described above.

post-61720-143142665223_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

Phil, thank you very much for your help.

The photo you posted of Meadowbrook Hall is the effect I think I'm after but I still have a couple of questions.

Do you have any 180 degree fisheye samples you can share? It sounds like the fisheye effect is similar to looking into a large convex mirror and if that's the case I have no interest in it.

It seems like I'm leaning towards the last method so I would need a photoshop program similar to this correct? :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/adobe-photoshop-elements-12-and-adobe-premiere-elements-12-mac-windows/1919013.p?id=1219067159370&skuId=1919013&st=photoshop elements 12&lp=4&cp=1

Great information, I really had no idea where to start. Thanks again for the help.

Phil, thank you very much for your help.

The photo you posted of Meadowbrook Hall is the effect I think I'm after but I still have a couple of questions.

Do you have any 180 degree fisheye samples you can share? It sounds like the fisheye effect is similar to looking into a large convex mirror and if that's the case I have no interest in it.

It seems like I'm leaning towards the last method so I would need a photoshop program similar to this correct? :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/adobe-photoshop-elements-12-and-adobe-premiere-elements-12-mac-windows/1919013.p?id=1219067159370&skuId=1919013&st=photoshop elements 12&lp=4&cp=1

Great information, I really had no idea where to start. Thanks again for the help.

That home is actually the Edsel Ford Estate. I know....picky, picky, picky.

The link you provided is actually for two programs from Adobe. You may or may not need Premiere (for video editing), but you will need Photoshop Elements. The good news is that'll save you some bills. Here's but one source: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1004658-REG/adobe_65224820_photoshop_elements_12_for.html

As far as fisheye lens examples, click on the link in your first post, then look over on the left. They show two examples taken with the lens you were considering. Just hover over the thumbnails to enlarge the images. Or if you want to see more, click here: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1195&bih=768&q=fisheye+photography&oq=fisheye&gs_l=img.1.2.0l10.900.2786.0.7514.7.6.0.1.1.0.214.920.0j5j1.6.0....0...1ac.1.51.img..0.7.918.z1hCpaKwpek&gws_rd=ssl

Notice how all of the fisheye images are round...not panoramas. Actually, you don't need a new lens to take panoramas. Whatever is on you camera now will do. You WILL need a program like Photoshop Elements to do the stitching.

Oh, and check Photoshop Element's tech requirements carefully to make sure your computer system can support it.

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)