1937 Oldsmobile Truck 1 ton

percy1939

Looking for workshop manual on 1937 Oldsmobile 1 ton Truck/Utility with 230 Olds motor. My truck was built at Holdens in Australia.

I believe GMC is the same?

Oldsmobile truck manual, 1937: truck chassis models C112, C126, C131, C157< F130, F155H, F155L, General Motors Corp Export div.

Any advice where to buy helpful.

Percy1939

Geeezzzz. The last Old's truck mentioned here in the States is the one the Beverly Hillbilly's Drove. And that was like 1920.... :P Dandy Dave!

Thanks Mate....Yep Jed struck Oil.

I found Gold with this Old's it's an Aussie..........

Percy1939

post-101655-143142599293_thumb.jpg

post-101655-143142599304_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I found workshop manual on 1937 Oldsmobile 1 ton Truck/Utility.

Now I'm looking to fit in my 37 Olds truck a 38 Olds 230 motor & gearbox from an Olds 38 car. My concern is will the gearbox & clutch be different from car to truck or can fit straight in? Going from car gearbox to truck thought the gearing maybe lower? Any advice appreciated

Thank you

Percy1939

Guest Commodore

According to my interchange manual Oldsmobile Six's 1937 - 1948 will interchange. The transmission is other story. Early 1938 Oldsmobile's (to engine number F836892) used the 1937 transmission. The later 1938 transmission will bolt up to the 1937 engine but the universal housing is different. This for passenger cars. Some GMC trucks used the Oldsmobile Six, but used a different transmission. I think your truck maybe a re-badged GMC. If so it may use a torque tube set up. Does your truck use torque tube? The passenger cars used an open drive shaft.

Regarding the open drive shaft on the passenger '37's, it's a 2 piece one with 3 u-joints, presumably so the floor could be lower. All hell breaks loose when the rubber mount surrounding the center u-joint gives way! I experienced it on my high school era '37 Olds back in the dark ages. GM wasn't much on open drive shafts otherwise.

I'm curious, Percy. How do you get a 1 ton rating for your truck? By our regulations that is a 1/2 ton truck. It doesn't have dual rear wheels and probably no full floating rear end. Again, just curious.

Terry

Guest Commodore
I'm curious, Percy. How do you get a 1 ton rating for your truck? By our regulations that is a 1/2 ton truck. It doesn't have dual rear wheels and probably no full floating rear end. Again, just curious.

Terry

It sure looks like 1/2 ton truck. It doesn't have a full floating axle. The 1 1/2 ton GMC trucks did.

A 1/2 ton GMC truck.

1937%20gmc%20carroll%201%20sept.jpg

A 1 1/2 ton GMC truck

37gmc023.jpg

Terry

Terry, My 37 Olds truck made at Holdens in Australia. Chassis 2240lb, Gross 5040lb. if you check out the Australian Olds Club web site details listed. Also chassis stamped Melbourne 37.

Percy :)

Thanks for that....yes my 37 Olds truck does have torque tube tail shaft with 200m seperate cone conection to gearbox. I'm in the process of removing the 230 motor & gearbox from my Australian 38 Olds Sloper so will need to investigate further before any installation in my truck.

Percy.

Guest Commodore

Well, if the 1938 Oldsmobile transmission doesn't workout, try looking for a 1937 - 1939 Chevrolet 1/2 to 1 ton truck transmission. This fits 1937 - 1938 GMC trucks with the Oldsmobile engine.

Edited by Commodore (see edit history)

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys, Thank you for your help and reply's. I have now restored my 1937 Oldsmobile Utility.

Now I'm still looking for this cable. 

Wanted to Buy - 1939 Oldsmobile Roadster RHD 6Cyl Item #4.020 Part #412507 Cable Assembly, Gear Shift Selector Cable complete

Pontiac may be the same

Thank you

kalbw@bigpond.com

Percy

2 hours ago, percy1939 said:

Hi Guys, Thank you for your help and reply's. I have now restored my 1937 Oldsmobile Utility.

Now I'm still looking for this cable. 

Wanted to Buy - 1939 Oldsmobile Roadster RHD 6Cyl Item #4.020 Part #412507 Cable Assembly, Gear Shift Selector Cable complete

Pontiac may be the same

Thank you

kalbw@bigpond.com

Percy

A tough ask. Have you enquired about getting a repro cable fabricated?  Same cable as 4 door sedan?

Will be similar to 39 Buick's, but looking at 1948 Old parts book & 1928-1941 Buick parts book are different part numbers and different detail. Same basic (1year only) design

1928-52 Master Parts book pg 117-A_ss.jpg

Edit

Olds Australia literature

http://oldcarbrochures.org/Australia/Oldsmobile/index.html

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)