1930 Cadillac LaSalle 353 timing/running issues

Guest VintageWheeler

Guest VintageWheeler

Has anyone had any in depth dealings with this engine or could point me in the right direction for imformation?

Any stories would be appreciated thanks.

Russ (UK)

The 355A Caddy has a Stromberg down draft on it, not the Cad-Johnson updraft.

Wow! Look : Not "a Stromberg" , but a brace of 'em ! That'll teach that ill behaved old Johnson , eh ? Now if we could find a way to safely and economically drop the octane of gasoline to 50 something , we could see how these great old cars ran, or should have ! C.

Guest VintageWheeler

Hello Ed

The vehicle belongs to an elderly friend of mine (doesn't use the internet) I will be visiting him tomorrow, I will get some pictures and some detail information.

Russ

Ask detailed questions......I am sure I can help. Ed

Guest VintageWheeler
post-101458-143142590614_thumb.jpg I have set the timing as per the book, even had the timing cover off! She idles but is reluctant to accelerate (will very slowly build up) The original distrubitor perished some time ago and she had been running for a time with a replacement V8 Rover item, however it seems that this fell apart and I am now aware she hasn't run properly since the present distrubitor has been fitted. It would seem the issue lies with the distributor, is there an effective replacement items readily available?

post-101458-143142590582_thumb.jpg

How is it possible to expect an engine to run when the vacuum tank outlet is below the fuel inlet of the carburetor and the level of the fuel in the float bowl is higher than the level of the fuel in the vacuum tank when full?

Ok......this isn't gonna be easy or prettY. Someone in the past was not able to make it run right stock. They either were too cheap or had no way to get correct parts. I would put it back stock, do you have the carb and intake? The distributor is also available new for a fair amount of money, or I can get you in contact with a guy who will have them. Timing is gonna be a mess from what I can see with that distributor that's on it. These car are difficult to make run right with the factory carbs, not too bad when you get use to them. Having done more than I car to remember I can usually get them set up easy in person. It's gonna take a few bucks to strighten this one out. Is the owner up to it? Ed

Guest VintageWheeler

Yes it does have an electric pump and fuel in fine!

I would say it has an electric pump on it but it looks like the glass filter bowl is half full of junk or water

Guest VintageWheeler

Hi Ed, I will be visiting Gerry today. From what I know he acquired the car some 23 years ago (not running) Not 100% sure but I think he got it running with original carb and a non stock distributor (will check), though once the heat had built up there were many running issues so thats the reason for the carb raised set up as it is! I will inquire if original carb is available but I don't think he is looking to put it back in the original V position because of the heat issues. If you can provide me with info on a relevant distributor that would be great as he hasn't had any luck here in the UK. Have you had one running consistently well in the original configuration? I'm sure he would like to get it running as original as possible.

QUOTE=edinmass;1314389]Ok......this isn't gonna be easy or prettY. Someone in the past was not able to make it run right stock. They either were too cheap or had no way to get correct parts. I would put it back stock, do you have the carb and intake? The distributor is also available new for a fair amount of money, or I can get you in contact with a guy who will have them. Timing is gonna be a mess from what I can see with that distributor that's on it. These car are difficult to make run right with the factory carbs, not too bad when you get use to them. Having done more than I car to remember I can usually get them set up easy in person. It's gonna take a few bucks to strighten this one out. Is the owner up to it? Ed

I had a 1929 341B Cadillac which now is in the U.K. Every part and system was completely stock original. The 341B is very much like the above machine. I never had any heat issues or other problems of any kind over many years and thousands of miles, even though the original ignition coil is mounted on the distributor stand just behind the radiator and near the crossover of the exhaust pipe there were no ignition problems. The carburettor mounted low in the valley and received fuel by gravity from the vacuum tank which also was flawless. Of extreme importance is being sure the drain tube was clear from the valley so any fuel which would possibly collect there would have a place to go. The drain holes in the crankcase are small beneath the original carburettor and open up to larger tubes. When I originally got the car the distributor pot metal was disintegrated. I searched for some time to find a perfect one which by now is beautifully reproduced to include upper and lower body castings and advance counterweight. During my search for a distributor, many said that a 1941 Cadillac distributor was a good replacement but I did not have to resort to that.

Guest cben09

I can't see any reason for overheating,,,except for the passenger compartment,,

These cars went coast to coast OVER the Rockey mountains,in summer,and winter,along with a handfull [millions?] of model t Fords,,,England doesnt have the temperatures or gradients to be a problem,,drive on,,,,,My view,,Cheers,Ben