HOW MUCH OIL IN MY 1914 BUICH B-37 ENGINE?

Marty Roth

How do I know if I have enough oil?

or too little?

or too much?

I had been told that as long as I see oil flowing through the "SIGHT GLASS" in my dashboard, that it was OK.

Since there does not appear to be a dipstick for this era, is there a better way to ensure the right quantity?

I will be driving more as I tackle the AACA Dual Meet in Tennessee next week, and then the AACA/HCCA RELIABILITY TOUR in Lancaster, PA the following week.

Thanks for any advice.

Marty

post-54863-143142552368_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314255237_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142552368_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314255237_thumb.jpg

My 1915 C25 engine has a valve just below the split in the engine case located behind and below the left front motor mount. Look for a plug or valve there that would be the overflow or full level on the crankcase. You can use a stick or wire to check the level through one of the oil filler/breathers when you get it full and mark it for future use. I have also seen some cars with a sight glass installed on that overflow fitting.

Have fun on the tour...

Mark

Yes, and thanks to Mark and to Larry.

The photos were an added bonus, and I'll probably make an extension similar to check from above . Now I know that our oil is at a safe level.

Next step will be to make a "dipstick", marked at the correct level.

We will show at Lebanon this week, and will drive the Reliability Tour next week.

Atta-boy Marty, get out there and enjoy!

Next week is the VMCCA Nickel Age Touring Group Annual Tour. This year's week long hub tour is out of Paris, KY (NE of Lexington).

If anyone is looking for a fun Group to tour with, Contact me. We go every year and would never think of skipping it.

Here's a fun pick from one of the Tour 'meetings'. I believe the quote was either 'What hat?' or 'That Ford chap has red hat envy'

post-44136-143142559178_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl
Correct spelling in title as requested (see edit history)

Yeah Marty, there should be a petcock on the drivers side about 1/3 rd of the way back on the pan. Fill until it drips out. The originals had a rod/ lever that stuck though the frame. The computer I load my photos on is on the blink at the moment or I would post some. Dandy Dave!

Thanks Brian & Dave,

Larry sent photos of the rod he made, and Mark described it so that I could understand as well.

The odd thing, was that the petcock is so low on the side of the crankcase that it would appear to be a drain, rather than a fill-level technique !

Thanks again to all -- Now to spend the next week passing Model-Ts