Need a Master Cylinder for 63 Riv

michel88

Took my 63 Riviera out for little exercise yesterday. All seemed good and it was running very good. When I started home from an errand the brake pedal started to sink when I applied the brakes. I was able to get home but pedal kept sinking on stops. Pretty sure it is the master cylinder. Brake fluid was not low. Gee I just replaced the master cylinder when I first got the Riv, about 25 years ago! The master cylinders seem hard to get for 63's nowadays. "Cars" had them for 64 & 65 but not 63's. Can anyone tell me a source for the master cylinder, or at least a kit for 63 Rivs.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a master cylinder for the 63. Just be careful on the quality. RockAuto.com list 3 or 4 options. Quality of things like master cylinders have went down hill since the replacement you installed 25 years ago. So much pricing pressure even name brands are being made across the ocean. Some are OK and some aren't. I quit gambling on quality of aftermarket MCs and send an original and have it brass or stainless sleeved and rebuilt: The non corrosive sleeve provides exceptional longevity over a standard cast bore. Lastly when you are using a single reservoir MC you want to take every opportunity to insure you have a high quality part.

Inspect and access life expectancy of the rest of your brake system. Rubber hoses, steel lines and wheel cylinders. Easier to replace now than piece meal over the next few years.

White Post http://www.whitepost.com/ or Apple Hydraulics in NY http://applehydraulics.com/ Both are reputable

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest dwhiteside64

Hi Woody,

Have you thought about rebuilding the unit yourself? I did mine not long ago using a repair kit that cost about $20. Many times it's just the seals that go bad and they are not to hard to replace.

Guest Kaber

Sounds like a good time to switch to a dual master cylinder. I used a 67 drum/drum m/c. There are 2 kinds, Delco or Bendix. You have to pull the old one and match it up. VERY Easy conversion!

Tim

Thanks to all who replied, and for the good advice. I have rebuilt them myself on my 40 Roadmaster and it has been holding up fine so far. I will take a look at the whole brake system and evaluate what should be done.

No problem rebuilding.........as long as water absorption over the years hasn't rusted/pitted the bore. Seems like every MC I have removed from these old cars has had some degree of pitting because the water collects at the bottom of the bore and the longer interval between use the worse it is. Thats not to say a mildly pitted bore won't be functional with a new seal kit but rather its life expectancy may be drastically reduced.

If you decide to go to a dual master cylinder it is an easy switch...You can buy both the '67 Delco & the Bendix at NAPA ahead of time & return the one you didn't need.....they are inexpensive. I couldn't get mine installed right away & NAPA said I could keep them until I got around to it. Rivnik