1925 Dodge Rear Main Bearing Oil Leak

I have the Dodge Bible but this issue is only addressed thusly:

"Remove oil pan and see the felt oil retainer strip is glued to the rear bearing cap. This felt should never be installed in the trough at the rear of the oil pan.

Old type crankshafts do not have an oil slinger and this type of shaft is equipped with a cork oil retainer, one half being in the oil pan and other half in the block......etc:"

My car has engine #A131422 with the 3 main block and I saw no evidence of a cork or slinger and fail to understand how a piece of felt glued to the bearing cap stops anything if it isn't squeezed into place somehow....... :confused:

I'm all ears because we had the pan off today for another issue anyway but oil still drips off the shoulder bolts....... :mad:

I did put in a new one when I had the pan off and (to my amazement) it doesn't leak. I took a photo of the original and it didn't leak either. I used grey Permatex silicone on the corner when I replaced it but I can't remember how I held it in place while it dried...

post-74074-143142528527_thumb.jpg

Hi, I use 3 drops of super glue. cork or felt is ok. make sure bearing cap grove is clean. I still seem to have the odd drip most of my oil come from the engine mount at front and runs down under then drops down and makes the car look like it is leaking everywhere.

Regards Brian

Does your crankshaft have the sharp flange behind the rear journal? It's just visible behind the felt in Mike's picture. That is what slings the oil. I have my pan off right now and can get you some pictures if you need them.

THANKS for that!

NOW I see what the felt does........it prevents oil from coming out the FRONT of the bearing keeping the oil within the drain recess.

Just looking at in the engine made so sense at all....... :confused:

Excellent information........ ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The pan is coming off again as I type but I forgot to post a tip I hope will be helpful.

The hardest part of the whole job is getting the oil level rod "threaded" through the block while trying to get the oil pan in place....... :mad:

I wised up and, last time, soldered a length of thin wire to the top of the rod.

My buddy stuck the wire through the hole so I could pull the rod through and the pan was on lickety split....... :D

Removing one tie rod pin and swinging the tie rod out of the way makes removing and installing the oil pump a snap too.

If the oil level rod is supposed to give a guide as to how much oil is in the pan, it can be misleading. I only speak from my own experience but the level was reading full when less than 3 1/2 quarts drained out. The manual states that between 5 and 6 quarts are required. Anyone else noticed this?

Ray.

Hi Ray, when I changed the oil last month and put 5 quarts in, the rod came up to about 5/8 of the distance between hi/lo marks. After running it a little it's still there. What does yours read when you add the new fill?

I added 5 quarts of oil and the rod showed just below the halfway casting indicators.

We found the outer rear section of the pan that forms the oil collection well was cracked so shined up the inside and soldered it figuring now it CAN'T leak........but it DOES.

STILL dripping oil off the *&^%^&*(*&^&* square head bolts........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

And to answer the question from 26Willys the crankshaft DOES have the integral oil slinger.

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Sorry, guys - I made a mistake in reading off the level. It was lower than I thought. I put in 1 gallon and the rod comes about 3/4 way between the two casting indicators. I expect each engine may be slightly different.

One more quart and that should do it.

Ray.

I hope all of you remember that their is a great deal of differance between English and American quarts. Bob

Come on, Bob..... Please elaborate! Presumably American pints and gallons are also different? I've completely forgotten about this.:confused:

Ray.

http://home.clara.net/brianp/usa.html

This would explain everything. It's not the measuring rods which are different but like Bob pointed out, it's the difference between English and American gallons. The only excuse I have is that my school days were a very long time ago and this is the first time I have ever needed this particular lesson. It's a lesson well learned!

Thank you Bob.

Ray.